Women of the Craft

"Where there is a woman, there is magic"

-Ntozake Shange-

   As the sun set, I released a deep breath, gazing down at the castle from my lookout. It was time to head back to the common room and prepare for tonight. I felt a twinge of nervousness, but I reminded myself that these were my friends. After my fifth year, I grew accustomed to having dependable companions. I smiled as I glanced behind me and spotted Highwing playfully chasing fireflies by the lake.

   I whistled to catch her attention, and she promptly approached, lowering her head for some affection before takeoff. These moments with her were precious to me. With a graceful leap, we were airborne. I landed near the bridge, where I knew there was a Floo station and fewer people. After a courteous bow from Highwing, she soared back into the sky. I made my way to the Floo station.

   "...Room of Requirement..." I whispered. In the blink of an eye and a shimmering green spark, I found myself bathed in the room's warm light. I walked to my right, where last year, the room had conjured a private bedroom for me. It was a haven fit for a Slytherin, boasting high ceilings and an ambiance reminiscent of a moonlit night. From floor-to-ceiling windows, I had a stunning view. A magnificent king-size Victorian bed graced the room. When the trials of my sixth year made my dormitory unbearable, it was as if the room sensed my needs. The sanctuary it provided was a gift I treasured.

   Although it offered solitude, I didn't want to be alone. I'd come to accept that I needed support. This was why I decided to share the room with my friends. While I still maintained the ability to retreat into seclusion, it was essentially an open invitation to a select few. Deek was seldom here at this hour, so the room was mine alone.

   I gently laid my robes on the bed, smoothing out the fabric with a sense of care. Opening the ornate door of my wardrobe, I reveled in the exquisite array of dresses that greeted me. Each one was a masterpiece in its own right, a testament to craftsmanship and elegance. My gaze lingered, appreciating the fine details that adorned the gowns, from delicate lace to intricate embroidery.

   As I perused the options, my fingers delicately traced the fabrics, feeling their textures beneath my touch. Among them, a verdant dress caught my eye. Its shade of green, vibrant yet soothing, seemed to beckon me. There was a magnetic pull, a whispered allure that drew me towards it. It felt right, perfect for this evening's gathering.

   This particular dress, while not overtly provocative, carried an understated allure. It graced my form, its length elegantly draping down to my calves. A daring slit traced up to mid-thigh, hinting at a playful defiance. The neckline followed a graceful, straight line across my chest, leading to sleeves that billowed gently, tapering to cuffs adorned with dainty gold buttons. It was a dance of contrasts, a harmonious blend of modesty and allure.

   After selecting the dress, I turned my attention to my appearance. I brushed my hair with a languid grace, letting each strand fall into place. With practiced precision, I applied makeup, accentuating my features while maintaining a natural, radiant glow. As I glanced at the time, a satisfied smile graced my lips — it was nearing 7:30, and the anticipation in the air was palpable.

   I rushed back into the main room, the cool floor soothing against my bare feet. Glancing around the walls, I declared, 'Okay, room, let's recreate last year's party, but this time, let's infuse it with a romantic evening charm, complete with an open sky to admire constellations...' Before I could finish, the skylight transformed, painting a vivid night scene with twinkling fairy lights dancing beneath. In the heart of the room, six plush couches surrounded a cluster of pillows and blankets, inviting cozy conversations.