21- Old Flame -

"Di wifi dung yah suh nah work good," Kendra whined. Again.

She got up put of the settee and began pacing the house.

"That's why mi go put on a plan," I told her, putting the channel on TVJ for Mama to come watch the news.

Just then Mama walked into the living room, tying her head with a kerchief.

I began scrolling through Bigga's Instagram. A like the third time fi di day but who cares?

The least him can do a post wan story.

"The body of a woman was found in a ditch near St James Street this morning by a higgler pushing a cart," a reporter said over the TV.

"How dem a kill off di woman dem suh?" Mama exclaimed.

I glanced up at the screen.

"Residents claimed they know the woman as a sex worker,"

"When mi see seh ah Marsha mi affi bruck out ina tears," a woman said, wiping her eyes with a tissue. "She did a try mek a living fi she and ar six year old son,"

"Marsha nuh trouble nuh baddi," another woman said. "So mi nuh understand how she end up yah suh,"

"Bwoy, mek sure yuh naw deal wid none a dem Mobay bwoy deh enuh," Mama told me.

True she not even know.

Kendra snickered and mi almost tek off mi slippers and fling after her.

My phone began vibrating. I furrowed my brows once I saw it was Fiona.

Why she a call me when she ina di next room?

"Hello?" I answered.

"Emergency," she said.

I stood up and touched Kendra on her hand to follow me. We walked into the room to see Fiona in a shorts and tank top standing in front the mirror.

"A wah gwaan in yah suh?" Kendra asked.

"Girl mi a prepare fi di party,"

"Which party?" I asked, sitting on the bed.

"Di party yuh friend did a talk bout,"

"Den mi never tell yuh seh wi a go a party miss," I said matter-of-factly.

Is like as soon as she hear bout party ar skin ketch a fiya.

"Girl you too boring," Fiona flunked on the bed.

"But how wi go lef if Miss Nerine deh yah?" Kendra questioned.

"Wi nuh wait till dem a sleep. Unuh a gwaan like unuh never sneak outta unuh house before,"

Mi used to. Back ina high school mi follow backa Sarah.

Peep peep. Kluck kluck.

"Mi kinda wan go," Kendra joined. "Di internet slow and in here boring."

"Alright," I gave in. "Mama usually go bed after ten. Then she stay up and read till after eleven,"

We picked out our outfits for the party. I opted for a mini dress and wore it with a pair of slippers.

At around twelve, we sneaked through the living room and made it outside.

Outside was cold from the night air. I already regret wearing this dress.

We rushed to the gate.

"Tek time open it," I said to Fiona, remembering how it creaks everytime it move.