16- Link -

When the woman in the song said "I'd rather be alone than be unhappy," ah me she did a talk.

Since we came back from the hotel and since then I made it my line of duty to steer clear from Bigga.

Even though I check from time to time if he accepted my follower request. Mi really wan see wah him a post pon dah account deh.

Fiona and I were in the back seat of a Probox heading to the market. I was supposed to go to work today but I was too tired from doing assignments last night.

But never too tired to go shopping.

The only thing is mi hate buy clothes ina the market them.

Ever since I was a child Mommy would bring me, Kacy and Raye and I would be dying for us to get out.

"Yuh sure you nuh wan look ina di store dem?" I turned to her, as she paid the driver our fare.

"Girl the store dem nuh have nothing good,"

I watched as she wrapped up her money in a tissue and stuffed it in her bra. A common thing I always saw Mommy did, so she wouldn't get robbed.

The only thing mi have pon mi a two thousand dollar. Cause mi nuh plan fi buy nothing yah so.

"Let wi off a di gas station driver," she said.

We got out soon as the car stopped. I was instantly hit with a wave of heat.

"Hi, come mi sell yuh sumn nuh baby," a higler sitting down called at me.

Lady mi did tell yuh seh mi want nothing?

Sometime dem people come like dem woulda force yuh fi buy from them.

We walked off into the direction of the market. It was busy; as it usually is on market days.

We pushed past people walking by.

I cringed as my hand came into contact with a man's shoulder; walking past me with a box ontop his head. I wiped off his sweat on my jeans.

All dem disgusting singting yah.

Fiona and I walked further into the market, eyeing the different stalls.

Sellers were making sure to yell at us to stop at their stalls to see if we liked anything.

"Oh, mek wi look yah so," Fiona grabbed my hand and turned into the direction of a stall.

"Yuh see sumn yuh like baby?" The woman at the stall asked.

She was eating from a box food with a fried chicken leg in her hand.

One of those women that bleach until their face turned pink. Imagine how di time hot and she ina hoodie, jean pants and stocking underneath it.

Bwoy she wicked to arself.

"Mi can see dah dress deh?" Fiona pointed to a black dress that was on a hanger under the stall.

"Lisa give her dah dress deh mek she see it," the seller said to a younger girl sitting on a stool.

Lisa got up and took down the dress. She handed it to Fiona.

"Yuh like it?" Fiona asked, looking at me.

It was a simple black dress. Mi nuh see di big deal bout it.

"It nice," I answered. "But wah you aguh wear it wid?"

"Wid the shoes mi buy other day. The one weh go past mi knee. And a leather jacket,"

"Try it on nuh baby," the vendor said.

Fiona gave me her purse and walked further under the stall. She put the dress over her head and rolled it down.

"It look good," I told her.

Yuh see how dah girl yah wicked? She coulda get any black dress like dis ina any one a di store dem and she mek wi come ina dah place yah.

"How much for it?" She asked taking the dress of.

"Three thousand five hundred,"

Fiona took a five thousand doller bill from out of her bra and handed it to the vendor.

"Lisa put di dress ina wah bag gi ar, please," she said, digging in her bag for change.

Lisa stood up and hissed her teeth, looking for a bag.

"Yuh si you likkle gal," the vendor cursed, handing Fiona her change. "Mi go mek yuh tan ah yuh granny when mi a come a market. Cause yuh nuh wan do nothing fi people,"

Fiona took the bag and we walked away from the stall.

"Yuh wan nothing else?" I asked, hoping she says no.

"No, mi done," she replied. "Mi hungry tho. Wah wi aguh eat?"

"KFC," I answered. "A long time mi nuh eat piece a chicken,"

"Mi hope di line nuh long,"

We exited the market and began walking to the nearest restaurant.

A car honked behind us, caused us both to turn around.

A white Mark-X was driving slowly behind us. The driver slowly came to where we stood and rolled the window down.

A lightskinned man was in the driver's seat. His eyes were brown; with brown freckles spread across his cheeks. He had long twists that hung over his forehead.

"Fiona," he beamed.

"Wamn Drae?" Fiona laughed, approaching the car.

I crossed my arms. Everywhere this girl go, she see smaddy she know.

She pushed her body through the driver's window and gave the other person in the passenger seat a hug.

"Yuh know how long mi nuh see unuh," she laughed. "Yuh still live round suh with yuh oman?"

"No sah," Drae answered. "Mi is a single man."

His eyes flicked at me and I internally rolled my eyes. Mi can just tell him aguh try tek set pon me.

"Yuh cya introduce mi to yuh fren?" He asked.

"Lef mi friend alone," Fiona stated.

"A weh unu aguh?"

"KFC," Fiona told him.

"Come mi drop unu down deh,"

Fiona looked at me and tilted her head to the car. I gingerly uncrossed my arms and walked towards the vehicle.

"Mek she come a front," Drae said.

The boy in the passenger seat got out and hopped in the back.

I walked around and got in the front seat. Inside was cool and smelt rosy.

"Bwoy Fiona yuh friend pretty bad," Drae continued.

I ignored him and pulled out my phone to see I got a notification from Instagram.

Bigga finally accepted my follow request. I tried to contain my excitement.

Time fi see wah him have pon dah account yah.

__
Thanks for reading. Remember to vote, comment and share. 🫶🏾❣