1- Take A Hint -

I glanced at my computer screen at the time

Thirty more minutes and I can finally leave work. I had a Stats exam in a few days, and it was crunch time.

"Hello, mi nuh business bout wah nobody wan do,"

I overheard the familiar voice of one of my co-workers. Judith.

I flipped out my phone and opened Instagram to look busy so she wouldn't come over to my desk.

Everyting affi be a problem fi ar. All when nobody nuh leff ar in charge, she act like she a supervisor.

I made a vow to work my eight hours and leave. No gossip. No drama. That doesn't mean mi naw go listen. Mi love people business.

"Miss Reid, you have a customer,"

I mentally sighed and placed my phone down.

Jus when mi tink mi can finally have some time fi miself.

"Send them in," I responded.

A tall, brown lady walked in. She was wearing a tight black dress that stopped below her knees. It accentuated her curves perfectly. Her straight hair was in a ponytail that reached below her shoulders.

She placed her purse on my desk and sat in the chair.

"Good evening," she began with a pleasant smile. "My name is Nanda Rose. I'd like to apply for a loan."

Dis aguh tek up e wul a mi bloodclaat time.

**

I sauntered out to the parking lot and made a beeline to my Honda Fit parked a few distances away.

Whoever come up with this work thing, unu just pray mi nuh find yuh.

Just as I opened the car door, my phone began ringing. I sat in the driver's seat and looked in the back to make sure there was nobody back there waiting to choke me.

I watch a lot of True Crime.

Looking at the phone, I saw that it was Kendra. I answered.

"Hello," I said, placing the phone on speaker and backed out the driveway.

"Jordan, you come off work yet?" she asked.

"Yes, mi a go home now,"

"Mi and Fiona deh downtown ah Starbucks,"

"Good pum pum gal," I heard Fiona say over the phone, followed by Kendra whispering to her to be quiet.

I stifled a laugh.

"Yeah mi can come a Starbucks. Gimme bout ten minutes,"

I hung up the phone and began the drive.

I made it at Starbucks after a few minutes.

I hated this spot. It was filled with tourists coming from the beach close by and a bunch of sand was all over the seats.

"See wi here," Fiona waved from a corner.

"Wi affi put wi bag pon one a di seat dem so nobody nuh tek it," Kendra said, retrieving her school bag from the chair.

I sat in the chair with a sigh.

"Den how yuh look so goods?" Fiona asked, sipping on her iced coffee.

"Girl mi tiyad mn," I responded, cradling my neck. "And mi affi go study fi big Stats exam. All now mi nuh know wah deh gwaan ina dah class deh,"

"Feel a joke," Fiona agreed. "Mi av a bag a Chemistry Labs and deven know weh fi start,"

"Wi shoulda just tun stripper," Kendra stated. "Or get wan scammer man like everybody else,"

At that we started laughing.

**

I finally made it home and pulled in the parking lot of the apartment complex. It was after seven and the lights were on to combat the darkness.

My stomach was beginning to rumble.

Mi know mi shouldn't ah drink dah Starbucks deh inuh.

I grabbed my stuff from the car and started to make my way to my building.

"Hey Jay,"

I turned at the sound of a familiar male voice.

It was Chris. One of my schoolmates and neighbors.

He was wearing a pair of grey tracksuit and had a brown grocery bag in his hand.

"Oh, hey Chris," I replied and made my way upstairs to my building.

I thought he would've went away but I heard his feet behind me.

"You look tired. You had a busy day today?"

"Yeah. I'm really tired,"

I walked towards my room door and he kept walking behind me.

I don't know if it's because I watch too much True Crime and I'm paranoid but Chris gives me real scary vibes. He's been asking me out for the past months I moved here and doesn't seem to know when to take a hint.

"Oh, working and going to school isn't easy,"

"No, it's not,"

I finally made it to my door and pulled out my keys. I paused and looked at him.

"You did want something?" I questioned looking at him.

"No. I was following you to make sure you get home safe,"

How ironic.

"And um..." he paused. "Just wanted to know if you changed your mind about getting dinner with me sometime,"

"Chris, like I said, I'm too busy," I began. "Between working and going to school, I can't find time for a relationship,"

He nodded stiffly.

"Yeah...yeah. Mi undastand. Just did a try again,"

"See you at school?"

"Yeah," he slowly turned and walked off.

I opened the door and got in; quickly shutting it behind me.

Man just nave no shame.