Salvation

Black Licorice was brought into my clinic, where he's reclined on my treatment table, doing nothing but laying in silence. Cherry is with me, and only Cherry, because this is a matter that only requires the people involved. I bring Cherry upstairs where we discuss his behavior.

Me: There is something wrong with him... 

Cherry has every right to be stressed.

Cherry: Th-there has to be something you can do...

Me: His problem is mental, so I'll need to talk with him and figure out what he knows... 

Cherry: I'd like to witness it... 

Me: By all means... 

Cherry sticks close to me as we head back downstairs. Black Licorice hasn't moved a muscle and doesn't pay me any attention as I approach him. I know Black Licorice might despise me after I knocked him into the water, so I'm expecting this interaction to turn out horrible.

Me: How do you feel right now...?

...

I'm not surprised he's answering with silence. But I realize my previous assumption might be correct. He doesn't want to talk to me. But he might be willing to talk to the girl he almost hit.

Me: [to Cherry] I think you should talk to him... 

Cherry: Wh-what should I say...?

Me: Just say what's on your mind... I know for a fact, if there's anyone around here he'll open up to, it's you... 

I can tell Cherry feels overwhelmed by that statement, so she holds onto my arm as she turns to Black Licorice.

Cherry: B-Black Licorice...? 

She thinks about what she wants to say.

Cherry: Wh-why did you want to hit me...?

That changes Black Licorice's attitude in the span of a second.

Black Licorice: I didn't...

He starts trembling again.

Black Licorice: I-I didn't...!

Cherry: Th-then why...?

Black Licorice: I-I tried to fight it...! B-but it kept hurting...! 

"Kept hurting"? What does that mean?

Black Licorice: It wouldn't stop until the pain... t-took control...!

Cherry: A-are you sure?

Black Licorice: At first I wasn't... B-but now...

Black Licorice starts glaring at me.

Black Licorice: I-I knew there was somethin' about this evil place...! 

I shake my head.

Me: N-no. This place can't be evil, at least not anymore. King Vorthrax is gone. There has to be something else.

Black Licorice: My head started hurting the second we arrived! 

Cherry: Does it hurt now?

Black Licorice sighs.

Black Licorice: Not... anymore. But I'm afraid it'll come back. 

Me: Well... If it has something to do with Berry Bitty City, I don't think you're safe here. 

Black Licorice nods.

Black Licorice: [scoffs] When you put it that way, it's like I'm being targeted.

Again, there's something about the way he said it that confuses me. 

Cherry: Where are you going?

Black Licorice: Back home. I need to explain the... bad news to Watermelon.

Cherry: Watermelon?

She gasps.

Cherry: You mean, Watermelon Gelato? Y-you've met her?

I nod.

Me: We both have.

Cherry: That's... amazing

She smirks at him.

Cherry: Black Licorice tries to hide it from me, but I know he has a crush on her.

I smile.

Me: You and me both. They are so cute together.

Cherry: [giggles] I know.

Black Licorice is not amused.

Black Licorice: I'm gettin' outta here.

As I study him, it seems as though he's feeling better, like whatever was hurting his mind has disappeared. I think it's affecting Cherry as well, because it seems to me like the stress has left her. Cherry follows Black Licorice out of my clinic.

Cherry: Maybe I should go with you.

Black Licorice: Nah. This is where you belong. It's clear to me now. 

Cherry: Y-you're my personal manag-

Black Licorice: I wasn't. What I said to you was true. I only stuck around with you to leech off your success.

The frown on Cherry's face comes back.

Black Licorice: But we'll keep in touch, kid, and that's a promise I intend to make.

Black Licorice sticks out his hand, expecting a handshake, but Cherry surprises him with a hug, and he has no idea how to take this. 

Cherry: You better come back and visit soon... Just for a day or an afternoon... 

Black Licorice is confused by her choice of words.

Black Licorice: Why are you rhyming all of a sudden?

He shrugs and rustles her hair.

Black Licorice: We'll keep in touch, my ATM.

Cherry chuckles as he turns to me, awkward for being in the middle of this personal conversation.

Black Licorice: And as for you...

Me: I don't even want to know what you're gonna say to me.

Black Licorice: You're still a little brat.

I saw that coming. 

Me: Thank you.

Black Licorice: But you've earned all of my respect, seeing as how you knocked the sense into me... twice

I salute him.

Me: Anytime.

---

Black Licorice and Cherry exchange another hug before he boards the butterfly bus. I can tell by the look on Cherry's face that she wants to board that bus too. As the bus takes off, we all bid farewell to Black Licorice, wishing him good luck. 

Especially since he'll have to deal with Miss Gelato. 

But my mood lifts as I realize that Cherry is going to be staying here. This part of the show hasn't changed, thankfully. My theory is correct when I see Strawberry confirming my realization.

Strawberry: Are you sure you wanna give up everything in Berry Big City?

Cherry: Nothing there can make me feel like a star the way my friends do.

Raspberry speaks up.

Raspberry: The way you do, Cherry. 

They hug and hold each other's hands.

Raspberry: I'm sorry I thought you were jealous of me. I wasn't being kind. Wasn't being me. I'm glad the real me is back.

Me: You're not the only one.

Raspberry turns to me and her smile fades.

Raspberry: Dominic...

Oh-no...

Me: Oh, I... forgot we weren't supposed to talk to each other.

Raspberry shakes her head.

Raspberry: No, listen. I've thought about what you said. Looking back on us now, I realized... I really was trapping you. My excitement got the better of me, because I finally got to be with the man of my dreams, and... I didn't want to let you go.

Me: Neither did I. That's why I was so nervous about telling you how I felt.

Raspberry: Mm. But I don't want to let you go.

Me: Who said you did? I'm not going anywhere.

...

Then we remember Strawberry and the others are still here.

Strawberry: Wait... What happened between you two? 

Plum: Is there some tea you're not spilling? Because that's not allowed.

Raspberry and I chuckle as we just... shrug.

Raspberry: We broke up.

Me: That's right.

The girls' faces are left hanging open as we just walk away, giggling because we know we're never gonna hear the end of it.

----

To be continued...