The Berry Big Harvest

{SPLASH}

I spring awake, having been drenched in water. The loud chuckling coming from Plum gives me the evidence I need to conclude that she pranked me. She dumped a bucket of water on me. Ice cold water too.

Me: D-dang it, P-Plum!

Plum: Morning, sunshine!

Me: I will th-throw you into the sun!

Plum: Someone woke up on the wrong side of the beanbag chair! Lighten up, will ya?

Then, I smirk and instantly trap her in a hug, getting her all wet too.

Me: You lighten up!

Plum: H-hey! Ah! It's too cold!

Me: Yeah, doesn't feel good, does it?

Plum: Hmph. It's not funny anymore. 'Cause now I gotta take a shower.

Me: Aw, sorry, Plum.

Plum smiles.

Plum: It's all good. But I really do need to freshen up. I can't teach a ballet class soaking wet, can I?

Me: Not unless you're doing underwater ballet.

Plum gives me a look of confusion as she heads off to take a shower. Then, I'm trapped in another hug by Raspberry, knowing I'm all wet, but she doesn't care.

Raspberry: Mmmm~! Good morning~!

I chuckle and hug her back.

Me: You're energetic this morning, huh?

Raspberry: Why wouldn't I? I get to wake up to your handsome face every morning~!

Me: Mm, yeah, you should consider yourself lucky.

Raspberry: I am, very lucky.

Me: Well, since it's morning, I guess I better go and open up my clinic.

Raspberry: Oh, that's right. I must go and open my boutique. Which... doesn't really look all that enticing anymore.

She sighs as she leaves the dance studio, which no longer looks like a plum. I follow her as she sits on the steps, not feeling as cheerful as earlier. I know exactly what's bothering her. Everyone in Berry Bitty City hates the modern look the city has received. We've all been so used to the fruity, colorful buildings we knew and loved. But now, that's no longer an option. The point of these buildings is that we no longer have to recognize the past. We've... well, the princess vanquished an evil that has haunted the past. Now that the evil is no more, the princess wants nothing to do with... him. She doesn't even want to remember his existence. That's why we can't go back. She's experienced so much trauma that, even now, she still has to look over her shoulder. I sit next to Raspberry and let her rest that head of hers against me.

Me: Hey... It's gonna be okay...

She shakes her head.

Raspberry: No... It's never gonna be okay... We can't go back to the berries we used to be...

Me: Raspberry, you're always the one telling me to not think in a negative way, so... Shush...

I put a finger up to her lips and she just rolls her eyes as she huffs away. That lets me know she's serious and I chase after her.

Me: Of course we're the same berries we used to be! Nothing about us has changed, Raspberry! I-I still love you after all this time, right?

She stops. She sighs and turns to me.

Raspberry: Do you?

Me: What?

Raspberry: Even now... I'm not feeling the same love from you... It's like... you're not my boyfriend because you want to be... But because you have to...