Change of Plan

The moon is high in the sky as I reenter the dress building. Remember, we had arrived in Berry Big City, close to the end of the day. And when Apple... saved me... i-it was getting dark. So now, as I enter Raspberry's studio, I am ready to snooze. I close the door behind me and hear the sound of poor Raspberry, face planted against her desk, snoozing. With how hard Raspberry has been working on that dress, she deserves to be sleeping in a queen-sized bed. I wonder why Miss Gelato would make Raspberry sleep like this. My wonders end swiftly as I hear the front door open. I hear Miss Gelato's booming heels carry her into the work area. She sighs.

Watermelon: That child works hard... Too hard... It'll be the death of her...

What?

Me: I'm sorry?

Watermelon: Not literally, boy... She works too hard all the time, she'll wear herself out... It ain't good for young people like her...

Me: Well, it's not helping that you let her sleep where she works.

Watermelon: That's why I was comin' to getcha...

I look at her in confusion.

Me: We're gonna sleep somewhere?

Watermelon: Not JUST somewhere... Especially not for potential like her...

----

I have Raspberry's arm slung over me and hold her as we cross the street. Watermelon hasn't said a word since we left her building, and it's got me worried. This is a huge city, and following a woman we barely know to some random place doesn't exactly bode well.

Me: Would you care to explain where we're...?

Watermelon: Just keep your trap shut and focus on what's in front of you... This city may seem sweet, but, boy, you don't know the half of it...

Me: Uh... Wh-why are we walking, then...?

Watermelon: Because you need to see what I've seen... First, though, we'll drop Miss Torte off at a friend's place...

I am concerned now.

Me: If you think for even a second-

Watermelon: Pfft... Quit pretendin' like you care, boy...

Me: H-how could you say that...?

Watermelon doesn't respond and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for the rest of the trip.

I say that, because now we're standing in front of Cheesecake's Luxury Inn.

Now it makes sense.

And it's awesome because the hotel is in the shape of a three-layer cake, presumably cheesecake.

Me: Cheesecake...

Watermelon holds open the door, giving me a glare.

Watermelon: Ladies first.

I have no idea why she's hostile towards me now. I really hope she doesn't turn into a jerk like Black Licorice, because I actually like her.

I'm holding onto Raspberry as Watermelon gets us checked in. We are stationed on the berry top floor, all the way up to the top layer. It's great, because the views from up high are incredible.

When you're not clinging from windowsills, that is.

----

In the cruel depths of the Berry Big City alleyways, Black Licorice keeps thinking about what I said to him, on the journey here, about him putting his hands on Raspberry. He has a face of pure sadness and misery that causes his lips to quiver.