The wards at the entry way allowed for no weapons but that didn't stop either of them from having their guards around them, pretending to be party goers.

"Do you see her?" Rhys murmured under his breath. Violet eyes studying the face of every dark haired fae female. None were Auren.

"No." Azriel answers first, no hesitation. Voice dark and grave. His hazel eyes darted around the room. His shoulder set and tense, as they had been this last month.

"We need to talk to Helion." Cassian steps closer to Rhys. "He'll have a better idea of what's going on."

Their High Lord doesn't respond. His body rigid, pausing.

"Yes." Feyre said instead, turning on a heel. She leaves Rhys there, letting him decide for himself. Azriel was one step behind her.

Cassian shot a glance at his brother before he follow their lead. With a large sigh, Rhys follows his mate.

Helion is tense as they approach him, from their proximity or the fact that he was standing in Tavian's house, Feyre didn't know.

"Cursebreaker." Helion fails to offer a smile. The gesture comes out like a grimace instead.

"Helion."

The High Lord offers a nod in greeting to both Illyrians but pauses on Rhys.

"Rhysand."

There was no apology in his greeting, no remorse. Only sadness and grief.

Rhysand doesn't respond.

"She's not here." Azriel murmurs again, moving his chin to gesture to the room.

The shadowsinger had been on edge in the month since Auren's disappearance.

He did not eat or sleep, he spent hours combing through her room. He'd snapped at Amren only last week, leaving the petite female gaping.

Even Mor couldn't pull him from his head.

"Tavian enjoys a show." Helion sighs, taking another turn about the room. "He will present her in a way that humiliates her and strengthens his reputation."

Azriels ground his teeth, confusion and anger making his hands flex at his sides, "What does that mean?"

Helion doesn't respond for a moment , he just looks at the shadowsinger, sadness in his golden eyes. He takes in the male before him.

"You'll see."

                               -

At the same time, Auren is standing in front of a mirror. The lady's maids Tavian appointed her adding the finishing touches to her hair and face.

They added cosmetics to her eyes and cheeks, caking them on to make her look almost like someone else.

The dress Tavian had chosen was.. exactly what Auren expected.

Pink, the colour of tulips, with long sleeves and a high neckline.

She used to ice this colour, thought it made her more approachable, and kind. Now she felt like she was barely out of leasing strings, pretending to be someone else.

Tavian didn't care, he preferred her this way. No skin was allowed but what he approved.

And of course he approved of her back being on full display. A show of his wrath, his strength. A display of Auren's weakness.

Auren hid her shutter of embarrassment and shame as she turned to get a better look.

Her skin was broken and marred, a mixture of burns and lashing scars from a belt, and sometimes an actual whip. Some old and some new.