Chapter Eighteen

Cassian was not a gifted dancer.

I watch in awe as the sure footed warrior who I've come to respect for his grace in training, stumbles on his own feet.

Cassian curses, take a step back from Mor, his hand wiping his face in frustration.

"You're thinking about it too much." Mor places her hands on her hips, cocking her head to the side.

The Queen of the Hewn City was dressed in a gorgeous burgundy gown, the skirts flowed and sparkled under the lights.

Slits in the side of the dress give bare glimpses of golden brown skin.

She told me that she had only worn the dress to give Cassian the proper experience.

Cassian, laughed himself hoarse when he overheard.

"No shit." Cassian mutters, flexing his wings back. His Illyrian leathers looked even more menacing as he stood rigidly in the large ball room.

"You gotta think of it less of step by step and more like battle." I gesture Mor back into position.

Cassian shoots me an unimpressed look. I return it with a smile.

"You move, she moves. Try again."

Without hesitation Cassian steps to take her hand. Ready to try again.

"Stop Counting, just move with the beats, pretend they're marks for battle," I tap my food on the wooden floor, a poor mocking of the music.

Cassian stumbles slightly, Mor leads him more than he leads her but he slowly begins to get it.

His expression in a constant state of concentration. A slight sheen of perspiration coats his skin from the focus.

I watch carefully as they begin the waltz, a classical dance, millennia old.

The two are both breath taking in their beauty. Mor's golden hair and softly delicate face, like a full moon, you couldn't help but look at her.

Cassian was handsome, his longer brown hair, brushed back today into a tail at the nape of his neck set off his hazel eyes and defined jaw.

Somehow though, they didn't quite look right together.

Cassian's brutal good looks clashed with Mor's delicately lethal beauty.

Which I mean makes sense, I currently had marks bet with Azriel that Cassian looked better with Nesta.

I snort to myself but hide it with a cough as Mor glances my way.

Originally, Mor had asked my help after supper last night so that she could watch Cassian's mistakes.

I had ended up being to short and it confused Cassian even more.

So instead dancing with Mor, who was the same height as Nesta, seemed like the best plan.

"Your doing great." I smile, watching Cassian finally take the lead from Mor.

He curves and guides her around the dance floor.

"We have two days before Solstice, I need to be perfect." Cassian speaks slowly, focusing on his foot work.

"Nesta will appreciate it." I walk around the pair as they dance.

Mor snorts.

I bite my tongue, placing my arms around my back, clasping my hands together under the base of my wings.

Me and Nesta had developed a friendship, no where near the familiarity of her and Gwen and Embrie but enough that I felt a sliver of anger at Mor's blatant lack of regard for her.