Chapter Thirty-Two: The Final Interrogation

──────────── ⋅◈⋅ ────────────

        Minho couldn't understand. His gaze had wandered endlessly on the files that were scattered on his desk as Chan spoke, but before he could even question anything, before he could even process Chan's words, the line disconnected, and the phone beeped three continuous times.

        Minho was confused. What was Chan thinking? An arrest warrant? But why? He hurriedly moved through his office, scattering papers everywhere as he searched for Chan's notebook. In the drawers, under the many documents that they hadn't had the chance to put away, under the stack of profiles, letting each of the papers fall off the desk and scatter onto the floor once he looked around them, and finally with the books on his shelf, where he finally saw it.

        Minho's breath shallowed. It couldn't be, could it? He didn't want to believe it. He refused. Hyunjin? Of all people, it was Hyunjin? But it was all right there, written in Chan's handwriting. The description matched; the height, skin and hair colour, and the shoe size... but it wasn't just that.

        No alibi, no alibi, no alibi. The inked words sat right beside each victim's name, next to the date their bodies had been discovered. And right there, at the bottom of the page, Jeongin's name was, next to it, written again but this time in red ink: No alibi.

        Minho flipped to the next page, his eyes scanning every word written on there.

        He spends a lot of nights at clubs. Talks to many girls, usually it ends up as one-night stands. Has a history of getting violent urges. Could the self-harm be connected? Out of guilt, maybe?

        Described the scar as the killer's signature the moment he saw the pictures of Jeongin. Was close to Innie. He knew a lot about him. Obsessively painted him? He knew Changbin, and yet he never mentioned him. Is secretive, even with how long we've known each other. Has anger issues, and could be lying about everything.

        Is he lying about everything? 

        The tips of Minho's fingers reached to flip to the next page, but before he could do so, a paper fell out from inside, dropping onto the floor. He reached to pick it up, but he paused upon seeing what it was.

        The warrant draft, written and completed, only missing a signature at the bottom.

        He needed it to be signed. Time was running out. He needed to hurry.

        He couldn't even feel the steps beneath his feet as he ran. Minho rushed up the staircases to the third floor, where Park's office was, where he needed to be.

        He didn't wait for the receptionist to let him in. The moment he stepped onto the third floor, Minho marched towards his Chief's office, opening its door and barging in, making the man inside startle away from whatever he was doing.