Chapter Twenty-Nine: Going Private

──────────── ⋅◈⋅ ────────────

        "This is ridiculous." Chan scoffed, letting his hands fall to his sides. "He agreed on six days. He agreed to give us six fucking days, so what happened?" He huffed, pacing back and forth across the room as his chief's voice cut out of the video playing on the computer.

        Wooseok pushed his chair back, running his tongue over his lips. "So— he basically just gave our case away without telling us, while we were working on it, didn't he?" He closed the opened tab, bringing a hand to his temple. "Is he being serious?"

        "This is not right," Chan muttered, letting out a dry chuckle. "He can't just do this— I'm going to talk to him." And before anyone can say anything else, Chan marched out of the office, hands clenching into fists at the anger that was slowly filling him up.

        "Chris, wait!" Minho called out, running after him. "Please calm down first. You're going to screw it up if you go talking to him like this."

        Pausing in his tracks as Minho stopped beside him, Chan bit his tongue. "Did you see what he did? He just— how could he? He knows how hard we've worked, he knows that up until this very moment we're working like our life depends on it, so what the fuck was it all about?" he exclaimed, still trying to keep his voice at a moderate volume.

         Minho pursed his lips. He sucked in a breath, opening his mouth to speak when he stopped, something behind Chan catching his eyes.

        "What is it?" Chan turned around to see what had caught his partner's attention, and he froze, seeing the man exiting the lift. "Chief," he breathed out, a dry chuckle escaping his lips with his words. "I was just about to drop by your office. I was wondering if we can talk."

         The older man raised an eyebrow. "I was just about to ask for the same thing." He pressed his lips together into a tight smile. "Would you mind leading me to your office? I figured we could speak there."

        Taking a deep breath in, Chan passed Minho a glance before nodding. "Sure." And the three of them walked together, Chan leading the way for them into the office.

        "So, I'm guessing you got notified about the conference and watched it," Park began, sitting down on the couch. "I wanted to let you know that from tomorrow afternoon—since it's late right now—you'll start transferring all the documents and anything related to the case to Detective Park's team. I hear you two and him were pretty close friends in college, so it shouldn't be much of an is—"

        "We're not doing that," Chan cut his senior off, pursing his lips. Minho and Wooseok both turned to him, eyes wide.

        The Chief laughed. "Detective, this is not about what you want to do or not. I have already made my de—"