Chapter Twenty-Two: Partners In Crime

──────────── ⋅◈⋅ ────────────

        "It can't be an accident." Minho put the files down with a hard exhale. His fingers intertwined as his lips pursed. "Whoever killed him wanted to throw us off by using the alcohol. Pouring the liquid all over his clothes- does it even seem realistic?"

        "Jisung worked at a nightclub. Serving alcohol to people was his job," Chan said, and Minho nodded quickly.

        "I know, but, Minkyeong did say Jisung hadn't come to the club that week at all."

        "For all we know, Minkyeong could be a complete liar," Heegyeom noted, joining the conversation. She walked towards the desk the two were sitting at, her arms crossed over her chest. "Hajoon said he saw Jisung that week."

        Minho sighed. "One of them must be lying then." He clicked his tongue as he turned in his chair. "Or, they both could be telling the truth. Maybe Jisung was at the club, but Minkyeong just didn't see him. The man did say he doesn't go there all the time."

        "You are somehow sure Minkyeong is telling the truth," Chan commented, glancing at Minho.

        The latter shrugged. "He seemed convincing in the interview I heard... although, he did stutter and pause at some parts."

        It had been a long four days since the body was found. Minho had been able to get back to working in the office as his injuries were already recovering. Chan had interviewed the part-timers at the nightclub, and just the day prior, he and Heegyeom were finally able to get to do the long-awaited interview with Yoon Hajoon. Wooseok was out of the office, at the lab, waiting to gather whatever forensic evidence they could get.

        "We'll be sure of most things once Wooseok gets here, anyway," Heegyeom said, sitting down at the desk. She took the computer mouse in her hand and did some clicking until she finally clicked on an audio file and raised the volume. "I don't think anyone at the club committed the murder. To me, the murderer could either be the person who was with Jisung that night at the club or it could be someone we don't even know." She clicked play on the audio file, and her own voice came out of the speakers first before an unfamiliar voice spoke.

        "Hajoon's interview?" Chan looked at her, and she nodded. She clicked on something on the screen again, and the transcript of the interview popped up.

Transcript of interview with Yoon Hajoon.
Held in informant's home: 175, Halyoung court, Jeonggyu, on Monday, the 17th of January 2022.

        Heegyeom scrolled down, skipping the parts that were not needed.