Prologue: In The Ricefields

"Stop! Please!"

        The boy turned around, his eyes wide with fear as he saw the older get closer to him. He continued running, feeling the cold air brush against his cheeks. Running faster, he aimed for the rice fields, seeking some kind of safety as the icy air bit at the exposed skin on his face. The danger of doing so, of going so far off the beaten track in the middle of nowhere, chilled him to the bone but as he took a look at the main road, he could not see another option.

        As he finally breached the first strip of crops, he took another glance behind him, watching for the shadowy form of his pursuer, but finding none.

        Heart thumping, he slowed his pace to try and ease the stabbing ache in his injured ankle, though soon found himself tumbling into the dirt, screaming out at the impact to his knees.

        He hissed in pain as he felt his eyes getting teary. He looked up and saw a car passing on the main road further off. He tried to scream, to yell for help, but the music blasting from inside the car left him unheard.

        He looked back at his now blood-stained knees, holding back another sob.

        What did he ever do wrong to have his life end this way?

        He tried to get up again before he felt a cold, thin line suddenly taking his neck. He gagged as he reached both of his palms to try and pull the string off. He heard the heavy breaths of the male behind him as the line tightened around his throat, making the air in his lungs decrease.

        Tears poured down his cheeks as he felt his entire body get weaker. He fought for air but gave up once he realised there was no way out.

        This was it. This was the end.

        His arms dropped to the ground.

        The male behind him let go of the line making the now lifeless body drop down onto the hay-filled ground.

        "You got the easy way out," said the man, throwing the line beside the body.

        "I didn't want to ruin that pretty face."

─────────── ⋅◈⋅ ───────────