Actually Tasty?

" Y'know, we could maybe use this as food?"

Both Cale and On just look at Barrow judgingly as the latter holded up a huge mantis.

"Did you actually mean what you said?"

"Yes."

Barrow said that with so much confidence. The cat just looked at him questioning whether or not this was actually the white star.

Coming up with no answer, On turned to her father to ask through the eyes as they make eye contact.

'What did you do to him??'

'I... Do not know myself..'

They both broke eye contact and gazed at Barrow one more time. When their gazes fell on the oldest, Cale and On saw him peeling off the mantis-like monster's thick skin - revealing some whitish and purplish meat underneath.

'that looks so rotten..'

One the outside, Cale looked indifferent. However, internally he was disgusted.

'How can that be edible?!'

"It looks edible!"

Both the father and daughter were speechless as Barrow just exclaims happily about how much food they could have, how tasty it would be, and rants about its rich juices.

Barrow grabbed the knife he borrowed (stole) from Kim and slices the meat evenly. He then grabbed some clean skewers they found in one of the stores and pierced the pieces of meat.

He then proceeded to try and make fire out of his palm. The radish didn't have all of his abilities yet, so he tried and tried and tried.

No flame.

Barrow just proceeded to click his tongue in annoyance.

'Aigoo, they never even left a single one! '

Just as the teen was about to ask for some matches, a pop up screen came up.

[Do you wish to use skill 'Nature Selection'?]

'.. Nature selection?'

A few seconds passed and Barrow just looked at the screen. Cale was about to ask what popped up but the former then said 'yes'.

Barrow's eyes looked unsure at first, next it widened in surprise. The commander never bothered to ask further, thinking that the radish would probably tell him if it's bad or good.

"Cale! Maybe those bastards aren't as shitty as we thought!"

'see?'

"Well? What happened?"

Cale asks as Barrow continued to look at the screen with happy eyes. Noting that Barrow kept his mouth shut, it means he was focusing on the screen.

And yes he was, since his prayers were heard.

[Nature Selection
You may only choose one ability at a time. The cooldown is 5 months.

Choices:
1) Molten Disaster - Fire
2) The Silent Raging Wind - Wind
3) Depths of Protection - Water
4) The hidden Ore - Earth]

Now, Barrow really needed to choose carefully. The cooldown this skill has is 5 months, which means that the reincarnator will be stuck with one Ancient Power until the timer is up.

'the power needs to be useful if my brothers and I need to last for 5 months with that only..'

The hidden ore is dismissed as it was only useful for sneaking in. These times in the novel dont need that much sneaking yet. Depth of Protection is also removed from the list, since it was more on the defensive side.