nineteen

nineteen: back to normal... ish
word count: 1345

The flight home consisted of Grace demanding I tell her everything, just as a best friend should. I didn't mind telling her. It was a way for me to relive the day that I would never forget. Once we reached the airport in Nashville, Grace and I said our dreaded goodbyes and she was off to Atlanta to do a quick shoot before heading to Las Vegas for a while.

  I called an Uber to take me back to my apartment and came home to the lonely sound of silence. I didn't mind being alone for the most part; I actually found comfort in being alone. "Hey, fishies," I cooed as I immediately fed my fish that were swimming mindlessly in their tank.

  I walked into my bedroom, throwing my bag on my bed before flopping onto it myself. I miss Justin already... I was afraid this would happen. I would fall head over heels for him in a matter of two days. To be fair, I already had the biggest crush on him so it wasn't that hard.

  I tapped my phone screen, seeing the time was almost four-o-clock which meant it was time to get ready. I was scheduled for a shift at the ice cream parlor. As much as I didn't want to go and just wanted to lounge in my self pity, I needed to make rent.

  I threw on my uniform, which only consisted of changing into a sweatshirt with the logo on it. I grabbed my phone and headed to the parlor.

  It didn't take but twenty minutes to arrive, but of course I was five minutes late. I was a little notorious for being late, even if it was by two minutes. "There she is," Bernadette, the sweet older woman who owned the shop with her husband Walter, said from behind the counter as she playfully placed her hands on her hips.

  "I'm gonna start puttin' you down for three-fifty that way I can account for them minutes you're always late. Then you'll be on time!" she chuckled as she handed me my apron as I turned behind the counter.

  "I'm sorry!" I giggled as I hugged her from the side, "You love me anyways, though." She wrapped a single arm around me and held me to her. "I do, I do," she said as she patted my back, "My sweet girl."

  Bernadette and Walter had practically become my adoptive grandparents since I lived about two hours from mine. I had worked part time for them for almost a year now. They were very understanding of my situation and the fact that I just needed a little extra money to help me out. Rent wasn't cheap, and I was also storing some
of this side money for my music career.

  "Well, looky-looky here," Walter said in his deep southern accent as he came from the back freezer. "Hey, Walt. How's business been today?" I asked as tied my apron behind my neck.

  "Not too bad. That's why Bernie and I are gettin' out of here and leavin' you kids to the night crowd," he chuckled deeply as he joined Bernie and hung his apron on the wall. "Mhm, I see how it is," I joked, winking in Bernie's direction as she just showed a smile.

  Ashley, my coworker who was the same age as me, came from the back as well. She was tall, with gorgeous red hair that curled effortlessly and naturally. "We've got it covered," she hummed as she brought a fresh tub of ice cream out to place into the freezer in the counter.

  "Ben should be coming in shortly. He's closing tonight, so don't be beatin' him up too hard," Bernie joked as she waved goodbye. We waved goodbye to her as we slumped against the counter and waited for customers.