six

six: oh, she's a singer!
word count: 1302

"See," Grace said loudly into my ear over the music, "Aren't you glad you came?" I smiled to her, swaying my hips lightly as we danced, "Yeah, yeah. You always know what's best." She smiled like she was satisfied with herself and danced against me.

After the song ended, we slowly stopped dancing and made our way out to the rooftop. Being out here sort of gave me anxiety seeming I had a small fear of heights. Luckily, this building wasn't a skyscraper and we were just on the ninth floor.

Grace took a hit of her vape, offering me the same, as we stood outside and looked out to the city. "This view is amazing," I smiled, taking in all aspects of my surroundings. She giggled, opening her arms out as if they were the wings of a bird, "Oh, what it would be like to fly!"

"Hey, sexy ladies," I heard Gigi say as she waltzed over to us and threw her arms around our shoulders. "Hi, my baby," Grace cooed, leaning her face towards Gigi's and resting it there. Lori, Kendall, Kylie, Keke, and Winnie Harlow were now joined around us as well. I turned my attention towards the small stage that took up a section of the rooftop. I noticed that the DJ had started doing forms of karaoke and letting some of the musicians here sing if they wanted to.

Right now, Matthew McConaughey was up there singing a karaoke version of Frank Sinatra's 'My Way'. There was a group of people who were crowded around, swaying to his performance with drinks in their hands. He was doing a fantastic job.

Looking around, I still couldn't believe who all I was surrounded by: movie stars, models, musicians, athletes, and tv personalities. I could see Odell Beckham Jr. dancing with his boys, Camila Cabello swaying her hips against Shawn Mendes, and some of the Kardashian sisters dancing with each other.

  "Alright, alright, alright," I heard the sound of Kevin Hart's familiar voice imitate Matthew, "Anyone else wanna take a round of karaoke? Or maybe even perform a little something? I know we've got some singers in the building."

  "Rylee!" Grace squealed, turning to me and jumping a bit, "You've gotta do it!" My eyes widened as I laughed, "Are you crazy? Hell no!" She shot me a look that was a mixture of confusion and excitement, "Why not? You sing in bars all the time, performing for people. This is just a little bit of a bigger audience!"

  "Do it! Come on, you have to!" Kylie smiled, joined by the rest of the girls hyping me up to get on the stage. "Absolutely not! I'm sorry, I can't," I replied, feeling the nerves begin to course wildly through my body.

  "Any takers?... Anyone?" Kevin repeated, looking around the crowd and hoping someone would take the stage away. "We've got one right here, Kevin," Lori pushed, assisting Grace and the other girls in physically moving me up to the stage. "Great!" He smiled, extending a hand for me to take to step up on the stage.

  As hard as I was trying to resist, it was no use with the power of seven girls behind me. "Take it away," Kevin smiled, handing me the microphone and placing a friendly hand on my back as he left the stage. Nervous, I clutched the microphone and looked around the audience that was patiently watching to see what I did. I went to the DJ behind me, handing him my phone to play the instrumental to my music.

  "Hey everyone... Uh, y'all don't know me. My name is Rylee and I'm from Nashville. I make music and put on little shows back home. Thanks to my bestie, and my new friends here, they've pushed me up here to perform for y'all. I hope you like it. This is my song 'Nobody'," I softly spoke, swallowing the lump in my throat and clearing my head as I motioned for the DJ to start the track.

  I started singing the opening notes of the intro, surprised to see people begin to dance and more people turn to look as they sipped their drinks. "You've got me wrapped around your finger... And you ain't letting me go," I sang the opening line as the beat dropped.

Once the beat had dropped and the song had officially began, I started to see that the crowd seemed to be enjoying my song. The nerves started to diminish and I began feeling myself up on stage. I started swaying my hips as I held the microphone, closing my eyes and allowing myself to get into the performance.

  "You got me losing my mind from just how much I'm into you, boy," I sang, extending my hand out to pull Grace and Lori up onto the stage. We all began dancing on each other as I continued to sing, really soaking up the moment. I couldn't believe the crowd, a crowd of celebrities, was enjoying my music. Not a karaoke cover, my own music that I wrote and made myself.

As the song ended, people cheered and clapped. "Ooh, ooh! Play another one of your songs! Then I'll let you stop," Grace pleaded, pouting her lip and showing puppy dog eyes. I huffed playfully, turning to the crowd, "Y'all care if I do one more while I'm up here?"

The crowd's response was full of cheers which I took as a yes. "Okay," I giggled, turning to the DJ and fixing the track for him, "This next one is called 'She Knows' and then I'm gonna hand the mic off to someone."

  The DJ began playing the intro, immediately causing Grace and Lori to resume dancing. "Just checked the clock and it's about that time again. It's about that time my fingertips be touching on your skin," I sang, swaying my hips in between Lori and Grace.

  Everyone resumed dancing at this point, still enjoying the performance. My time on stage seemed to go by so quickly. "You're on the line, telling me to come over. Sayin' you miss me and you wanna hold me closer," I sang, slowly grinding and turning where Grace was in front of me, "It don't help that neither one of us is sober. And when I get there you gon' tell me bend it over."

  I grabbed Grace's hand, bending her down and turning her around in front of me seductively. It wasn't long before my song had ended and I was met with applause yet again. I thanked the crowd, nearly crying and handing the microphone back to Kevin before quickly leaving the stage.

"Oh my God! You're amazing, Rylee. I was getting my grind on," Keke laughed, mockingly grinding. "I can't believe I just did that," I laughed, catching my breath from the rush of adrenaline. Kehlani took the stage next, singing and dancing. I couldn't help but to sway my hips alongside the girls.

When she started performing 'Toxic', Grace and I couldn't stop dancing. Swaying my hips to the music and playfully grinding against Grace, I found myself lost in the music. I turned, dancing and singing, "And that damn Don Julio made me a fool for you!"

"Ooh, Don Julio! Now I gotta get another drink," I giggled, knowing I needed to be careful seeming this would be my third drink. I wasn't drunk, but I was starting to feel a bit tipsy. "You want anything?" I asked Grace over the music. She nodded, agreeing to have some Don Julio as well and I was on my way.

author's note
— hey everyone! i hope you enjoyed this chapter about her performance. it's vital, i promise! anyways, more to come <3