"Somewhere I can breathe," I say coldly to her before leaving the classroom.

||

After school Lee and I board a bus to Jaré's hospital. I got him a pack of chocolates too because I really feel bad about him being in a hospital because of us. Or me. I don't know. I also don't know if he's allergic to chocolates but that would suck for him. The hospital is packed and I'm reminded once again why I hate coming here. The last time I was at a hospital was when I had the accident and that time I was too disoriented and preoccupied to take note of it. My brain shut out the fact that I was at a hospital then but this time I'm fully aware of my surroundings.

  When we get through the first floor Lee glances at me.

"Are you sure you're okay with this? We could always see him at home," he offers.

"We don't know how long that'll be. I'm fine," I shrug him off. Just as I say it the smell of antiseptic hits me like a wave and force myself to not gag. Has it ever happened to you that you relate a scent with something completely different from what it is just because it happened to be in the air one particular time? For example, as in my case, antiseptic was used to clean the blood in the room so whenever I smell it, I don't think of antiseptic. I think of blood. My brother's blood.

"That's his ward," Lee taps me hard. I look towards the direction he's pointing at and yes, that is his ward. None of us makes a move to enter though.

"This is weird," I murmur.

"You're telling me," he grunts. After a minute or two we both simultaneously step forward, resulting in our bodies being squashed in the door way.

"Dude," Lee whisper shouts.

"Step back," I grunt, using my elbow to push him back. He cries out from pain but steps back while I enter the ward. And...wow, everyone's watching us.

"Uh-hey...everyone," I laugh nervously. There are 4 beds and I avoid looking at anyone in the eye until my gaze lands on Jaré. He's on the last bed, watching us like an eagle. Lee walks past me and goes to stand next to him.

"We just found out about the accident. We're really sorry this had to happen to you," he says in a rush. Knowing Lee, he'd probably said that over and over again in his head on the way here. I join him and take in Jaré's shape.

  His head is bandaged and he has a cast on his leg.

"Is it broken?" I nod at the leg. He shakes his head.

"I'm fine, despite how I look. I got off the hook easy."

"You're a really great guy, you've got all the luck in the world," I smile at him even though I barely know the guy and he could actually not be a really great guy. But come on, he's in this position because he wanted to help. Because he knows something.

"How did it happen?" I ask tentatively.

"Fast, I don't remember much," he answers immediately.

"Odd that you'd suddenly get into an accident. Are you going to press charges?" Lee asks.

"Against who?" He looks genuinely confused.

"Declan. It was his bike," Lee answers innocently.

"Uh...I don't know if that's something you're supposed to be telling him," I mutter loud enough for him.

"Declan? The guy you guys suspected? How–"

"Do you think it's someone else?" I tilt my head. His face has turned white in a matter of seconds and hearing Declan's name seems to do something to him. It's not just what you'd think it would do.