Chapter 36: Gathering The Puzzle Pieces

Start from the beginning

I almost laughed aloud.

But then the shadows reached out, making contact with the sun. And what happened next was... well, indescribable.

They swirled around each other in a frenzy, spinning faster and faster as the tempo of the music increased. They kept spinning until the two elements were no longer separate. They were one. It was no longer the shadow and the sun but this vortex. This chaotic, untamed power. It was brilliant, and no one could turn away. I had seen this before... oh no. The vortex was no longer swirling above them. It began to move, and it was moving purposefully - towards me.

Shoot.

Now Mother and Father were looking at me.

This could not be happening. All eyes were on me now.

Mother looked concerned. But Father - he was intrigued.

What was I supposed to do?

But then I heard a voice.

Aleksandria.

What was this?

Aleksandria, listen.

Could everyone else hear this?

Child of the sun and shadows. Look at what you are.

Did Mother and Father?

Look at your power. Step into who you are.

What did that mean? I did not understand.

But the voice was intoxicating. It called to me. It drew me in. I could not resist. I reached out. Immediately, the vortex rose to my touch. Lightening struck out all corners of the room, causing everyone to gasp. And then it was gone. But I had felt it.

The vortex was within me. I held such power. I was that power.

The room broke out into whispers. I wasn't sure if it was the good kind.

"Darkling!" His Majesty barked, "What is the meaning of this?"

Father did not respond.

Instead, he brought his hands together in a resounding clap. The room went completely black.

"Darkling!"

This time, in the shadows, I heard Father's shadows call. Much softer than the vortex.

Leksi, Leksi come.

Father reached out to me, calling me to him. I ran to him, grabbing his outstretched hand. The other was wrapped around Mother's waist. In a flash, the three of us were no longer in the ballroom.