Chapter 6: Mission: Sol Koroleva

Hey guys, 

Sorry for the late update! I had a migraine so that delayed my schedule a wee bit. Anyway, the next chapter is here now. Enjoy! 😊 

My job was a lot easier than expected. It turned out that the Darkling's chambers were not so far from my own. However, it seemed that only our two chambers were in this wing.

It didn't take very long to find them.

I felt the Darkling and Zoya's heartbeats almost instantly. Zoya, despite her warrior-like defences, wore her heart on her sleeve. It concerned me knowing what this meant. I knew she was devoted to the Darkling and his cause, but I would have never guessed... for him? The Darkling must have done something atrocious to lose her loyalty.

It was the Darkling's erratic heartbeat that took me by surprise. It was so unlike him. He, even on the inside, was generally calm and composed. He always knew what was to come. I suppose this was not one of those times. His heartbeat conveyed a sense of excitement, yearning - almost child-like. I smiled, realising why. He was going to meet his sun summoner - his balance. His soulmate. The only one who would never leave him. The one who would be there with him forever.

Until Alistair and I come along anyway.

I cringed at the romantic in me... get yourself together, Leksi!

Still, I felt that ache in my heart that had occurred when the General tried to comfort me. What was this feeling?

That's when I remembered what he'd do to Mother. All feelings of warmth departed from me. I sighed. The tsar was a very complex man.

I noticed that Genya and Ivan were there too. Their heartbeats were a lot more steady. I supposed since Ivan was a heartrender... that was natural. Genya was of the corporalki order - yes - but she was only a tailor. Yet, there was no heartbeat sweeter to listen to... aside from Mother's. Something was soothing about its rhythm... kind and comforting.

I directed my attention to their words.

"Zoya, there has been a new development," the Darkling began.

"Yes, what did you mean by 'Saint', sir?"

He paused, probably to grace his audience with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. Typical.

"There are rumours that there is a sun summoner. Have you heard of this?"

I noticed Zoya's hesitation. She was surprised.

"N... no, sir. I was not aware of such rumours. Is there reason to believe that this is true?"

"Well, I see it like this, Zoya. If it's true, she must be found..."