Fair Winds and Following Seas

Start from the beginning

The wind was a bit cold on my thighs when Will pulled my chemise up, and I heard him chuckle. "Nervous?"

"Excited." I muttered, "I always like it when you do this."

"Then I'll endeavor to leave you with a good memory." Will gave my hips a squeeze as he lined himself up, and I groaned as I felt him enter me. Whatever it was about this position, the angle, the way he would strike something deep within me that quickly had me panting. Fortunately my desk was heavy enough that it didn't move when he thrust into me, although I was quickly quivering.

Until someone knocked on the door.

Mr. Keller's voice was muffled, "Mrs. Murdoch? Are you in there?"

"Uh, ah, yes Mr. Keller." I raised my head from the desk, looking back at Will. He'd shallowed his thrusts, but he was still moving within me. I waved my hand for him to stop, and he huffed through his nose as he did so.

The doorknob shivered slightly. "Alone?"

"Not," I almost moaned as Will suddenly shoved himself home, feeling my self flush as I barely kept it down. "Oh God, not quite."

Will grunted from behind me. "Ana, ah, send him off."

"I'll, I'll just come by later for the contracts, it that's alright?"

Will had begun to move again, and I couldn't help myself. "Oh yes, yes!" Fortunately Will couldn't last much longer, and neither could I. If anyone noticed how my legs wobbled slightly as I walked downstairs, no one mentioned it. Although Mr. Keller had suspiciously left for the day, not that Will or I mentioned it. Instead we talked of everything but the fact that he would be leaving in a few days, and distracted ourselves in bed that night.

The next day, the day before he left, Will stepped out in the late morning. He assured me that it was only a quick errand, and that he would be back before I knew it. I was all smiles, telling him that it was alright and I understood. Perhaps he simply wanted to be sure his new trunks were on the ship, or maybe he had to settle some business at the Consulate. I tried to keep myself busy, made a trip down to the kitchen to see Mrs. Vangerten, and eventually decided to resume my sewing.

It was been some time since I had sat at my own sewing machine, and I had to do a little oiling to get it back running. The sewing room was stocked with patterns, courtesy of Liz who felt that every time she saw something she liked I had to have a pattern for it too. But I lacked fabric, trimmings, and even my supply of thread was low. I sighed as I considered the shirtwaist pattern I had decided on. I would need a list, and perhaps it would be good for me to distract myself once Will had left. I could go shopping with Liz, that would help. And I'm quite sure Will would find my letters about sewing entertaining, and I could even send over a shirt for Christmas.

I had just gotten to my office door, intent on collecting paper and pen to write my list, when I ran into my husband. Quite literally, although he was quick to catch me. "You're back."

He gave my arms a squeeze, "I was just leaving something for you in the office, for tomorrow."

"Oh." I fought down my frown. "I'm glad you're back."

"I brought something for you now, too." He smiled, just a bit. "It's down in the sitting room, would you like to see it?" I nodded, holding tight to him as we made our way down the stairs. Rigel was more than happy to come across the both of us, and trotted after us into the sitting room. Will didn't even comment as Rigel laid himself across the floor in front of the fireplace, instead drawing me down onto the settee. "I had to rush off to pick it up."

I felt my heart begin to flutter when he pulled the small box from his jacket pocket. "You didn't have to do that."

"I couldn't leave you with nothing." He held the box out. "Here, open it." I took it, gently prizing open the lid. Resting inside on a black velvet cushion, was a small silver pendant. It had been made in the shape of a ship's wheel, and held in the center was a crystal that had been engraved and painted with the emblem of the Reserves.