Chapter 05: Lunch

Începe de la început

You chewed your lip as you wondered what to say in response. It was clearly a sensitive topic and you regretted pushing as far as you had. "I'm, um sorry to hear that, and to bring it up... Must be hard..."

"Yeah. I mean, no, it's cool." Charles reassured you with a smile. "I miss how close we were, you couldn't split us up when we were younger, and I hope one day, we'll be reunited, but for now, it's safer for everyone if Amara's kept away from society you know?"

"Wow! I mean, I don't really understand, but I'm sorry you're going through something like that..." What else could you say? It sounded like his sister must have had some mental issues or something if she was being kept out of the general public like that.

He looked over to you and smiled. "Thanks. I appreciate it... You know, you haven't changed much. Still as kind as you were back in school..."

You blew a soft raspberry on that. "Kind? I was happy to see Daniel walk into that door back there... Speaking of which, I probably should be getting back." As you'd motioned to the general direction of your office building you caught a glimpse of the time, realising you only had five minutes left of your break.

Had it been an hour already?

Picking up your phone, you stood up and then gathered your handbag from where you'd placed it on the chair between you both. "I'll walk you back." Charles said as he stood up from his seat along with you.

"You don't have to. You should finish your coffee." you stated as you noticed his cup was still half full.

"Nah. Let's go."

As the two of you walled to the door and back into the street, Charles continued his train of thought from the table. "Do you remember, the first day we met?"

You shook your head and pursed your lips. "No," you replied. "I honestly don't remember you..."

Charles let out a loud laugh before continuing with his point. "No one in the class wanted to talk to me, cause I was the new kid. But you, you asked me if I wanted to play Lego with you, and you brought me over to play with you and your friends. There was, the girl, with the red hair and freckles, and Eric and, what was the other kids name? The boy you always played with?"

You thought for a minute before you realised who he probably meant. "You mean Greg?"

"Greg! The snotty kid with white blonde hair? He was your next door neighbour?" he asked.

"Yeah." Wow. Charles had a really good memory. "He was my first crush. From three years old," you chuckled. "I'm really, surprised you remember all this. And the Lego? I can't have been the first kid to talk to you?"

Charles nodded his head, over exaggerating his movements as you continued to walk the block to your building. "Yep. You sure were. That's why I was kind of pushy in getting you to meet up with me. Sorry about that..." he laughed lightly. "I just remembered you always being nice to me and I was hoping you'd be the same. And you are..."

"Well... You're ah, welcome..." you said with a smile. "And thanks for lunch. My shout next time!"

"You're on!... I don't suppose you'd be free again this week? Maybe a drink after work? You don't even have to shout this time!" he chuckled.

You thought for a moment, trying to decide on the spot if it was a good idea or not. It was a little soon to be meeting him again. That seemed more like a date scenario over friends meeting up for a drink and Charles surprised you when he seemed to pick up on the issue you were mentally struggling with. "I guess it's a little date like, huh? Maybe next week instead. Don't want to get you confused and think you're out of the friend zone now."