1.

I smiled as I placed the last folder in the drawers of the office. I was happy that I was finished with work for the day and even happier that I was getting my first pay tomorrow.

It's been one month since I've been working at this clinic as a health records clerk, and I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity. I prayed night and day for this job because it didn't require a lot of qualifications and experience and the pay was somewhat pleasing, too. I had hopes of finishing College, but that failed when I couldn't move on to my third year because the person who was funding my tuition withdrew himself from doing so, so I had to resort to finding a job.

Getting up from around the desk, I packed up my handbag, signed out from work, and headed towards the taxi stand. Passing the mall, I smelled the KFC with a smile as I couldn't wait to buy a bucket for my family and me after collecting my pay. Reaching the stand, I was immediately called by a taxi man going my way. I smiled, heading towards his car. He's a nice guy. He's never seen me and not asked if I'm going home or going to Linstead. I greeted the passengers in the car and then rested my head on the window as the driver pulled out of his parking spot and headed towards home. I took out my fare to pay the driver as I realized he was gonna drop me off at the crossroads. Sighing, I pulled the car door and stepped out, dreading the five-minute walk home. I was so tired.

"Anaya!"

I turned to look at who was calling out my name. Hissing my teeth, I continued walking. Every community has that one questionable-looking creature that is always taking a set on people's children.

'Nuh know weh him waa'

"Yuh naa ansa me?" He shouts. By this, everyone who was by the corner shops at the crossroads was looking at me. Holding my head straight, I continued walking home. I released a breath of relief when I turned into my lane. Home sweet home. I hope Mommy is not miserable this evening. Stepping onto the verandah I removed my shoes placing them on the shoe stand.

"Mommy! Mi reach home." I shouted, heading towards the board kitchen that was attached to the living room. Sticking my head into the kitchen, I saw her standing with her back towards me, not sure of what she was doing.

"Yuh cook?" I asked her.

Turning around, she glared at me, saying, "Look here.."

Before she could finish, I replied with a "never mind mommy" and then headed toward the room my younger brother and I shared.

Entering, I saw him on his phone playing games in the exact spot I left him this morning. When leaving for work this morning, I remember I heard him saying, 'rank a drop todeh'. Now I know why mommy was irritated just now. He had been on the game since morning and had not helped her with a thing in the house. But she's the one that grew him that way...

Baby him too much

Sighing, I told him to get out of the room so that I could change. After changing, I headed towards the half-done bathroom that mommy started building last year.

All now it cya done. Sigh... One day, tings must get better.

After showering and putting on my night clothes, my mom called me for my dinner. Smiling, I went and collected my food, telling her thanks. Sitting around the table, my phone started ringing. Seeing it was my close friend, I answered.