I don't know how long it will take me to find civilization and a good water source. I have a straw that claims to filter out dirt and germs, making otherwise undrinkable water safe, but I'm not sure how much I trust it.

My toes dig into the ground, and I curl them as I stand and take a tentative step forward.

Where am I?

Lill brought me to some field, but it doesn't look cultivated or managed. The grass I'm standing in is short, but there are spots further away that look like they go up to my knees. Off in the distance, there looks to be some manmade structure, maybe a tiny cabin of sorts, but it's too far away to get a clear view.

I spin around, looking for anything else interesting, but all I see is land.

Manmade structure it is.

I put my socks back on before ripping open my bag and pulling out my sneakers. I bought a new pair for the trip, and I hope the high price equals quality. I almost went with hiking boots, but given the lack of large trees and the flat terrain I'm looking at, I'm glad I went with the sneakers.

My hands shake so badly it's hard to tie my shoes, the adrenaline finally wearing off.

What's Lill doing right now? I fear that jumping through the portal has hurt her, especially after seeing how hard it was for her to open in the first place. Hopefully, she realizes me having come here means I'll be returning soon with more of her tea. Then she won't feel bad drinking more than usual to heal.

It would be helpful if she didn't drop me off in the middle of fucking nowhere, though.

I was under the impression Lill was from a large city. It sure sounded like that from all her descriptions and stories. There's not a damn skyscraper or road to be seen, though. It's a real bummer, and it's not making my job any easier.

I'm not surprised, though. Even drunk, she wasn't taking the risk of anybody spotting her. That's for damn sure.

I swipe my hand through the air again, unable to resist the temptation. The shimmer is so distracting, even if it's arguably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Lill said it was magic right before I jumped through the portal.

I didn't realize magic was a tangible thing.

Even though I can't feel it, it's visibly here in front of me. The little flecks are impossible not to notice.

Maybe I don't feel it because I'm human. My body has no use for it and doesn't exist in the human realm. If this is how much Lill's body was accustomed to, it's no wonder she always feels so sick.

I sure hope it doesn't irritate my respiratory system. I have terrible seasonal allergies, and this looks an awful lot like pollen.

The magic swirls as I swipe my hand through it, the flecks moving with the wind. How do the faeries ever get used to this?

Shaking my head, I force myself to concentrate. The sun is high in the sky, so I assume it's around the same time it was back home. It shouldn't take me too long to reach the cabin, and it'll hopefully provide me with a place to sleep during the night.

The sun will go down in a couple of hours, and I have a feeling it will take me much longer than that to find other faeries. I don't want to be out alone at night, so I'll sleep inside the cabin and leave first thing in the morning.

Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll find a map or something useful inside the cabin. I highly doubt it, but a girl can hope.

I put my hair up and begin walking, eager to get a move on. For all I know, opening the portal alerted some magic faerie people, and I don't want to be caught standing here when they arrive. What if they can teleport? If Lill can open a portal wherever she wants, I imagine the faeries can do the same to get around their realm.