41

Sunset from the top of the hill Eric was once here with Haneul was pretty. The hill that the girl had suggested to him, the one she said she was dying to go there but had no friends to go with.

Everything was the same. Back then, he was here with the version of her as a ghost but never knew. Today, he was here again with her in the same version.

Haneul seemed in love with this place which left him wondering why. Maybe it was because of the view, but Eric did think that perhaps it was because this place was high, closer to the sky - the place she would be living in?

"Hyunjae was speechless at what had happened to you," he spoke up from the green grass he sat on, watching the girl's back 10 feet ahead admiring the view. "They really, thought it was the last day they'd be seeing you."

Haneul turned on her heels, staring down at him - unfazed. Her eyes blinked ever so slightly as if she was blinking tears away.

She had left everyone bewildered including the doctors and nurses that were taking care of her. From the story Eric heard, during that time Sunwoo was with her while Juyeon and Hyunjae were talking outside. The younger was having a conversation with the unconscious girl, telling his concerns about the final exam when the monitor next to her bed rang an alarm while her body gasping for air.

Sunwoo was scared but still trying to keep his composure. He rang the button, calling for the nurse and dragged himself out, calling for the elders.

The doctors and nurses had come to a mutual agreement that this would be the end of her life based on the previous experiences they had.

And that was when Eric appeared, internally screaming 'You can't leave!' in which the monitor miraculously flashed back the normal heartbeats.

For Eric, that was enough. But for her family - her parents and Hyunjae, that was devastating. Haneul had been suffering so much that they just wanted it to stop.

"Wanna hear something?" She proposed and Eric nodded in no time, raking his hair in the process. Haneul scooted closer to the boy, plopping down next to him. "It's painful from the day one I was in this form. And God has been so nice that a place has been prepared for me up there so that I won't feel the pain anymore."

She pointed to the sky which was now in orange, dusk was happening. Eric gulped, knowing very well where this conversation was leading in, and he was unhappy.

"Haneul, stop."

"Don't you pity me, Eric?" But she had no intention to stop. She was looking at him pleadingly, hoping that her feelings could reach him. "Let me g-"

"No!" He sternly said, rising to his feet in the process. He was furious. "And what? Letting you go and not be able to see you again? You must be kidding me."

Haneul sighed, her gaze dropped to the ground. Funny how a ghost also had a feeling, to the point she would've shed her tears considering how her eyes were now glassy.

"I want you to be happy," she spoke up after some time. Slowly lifting her head, a lump was in her throat. "As long as you're still holding me back, you won't be happy. You will get sick - no one wants you sick. So, you have to let me g-"

"I'll be happy if you're alive," he cut her again, kneeling in front of her. "Wake up and we'll be happy together."

Within those moments, Haneul had stayed quiet. She had been staring deep into Eric's dark orbs, diving into the emotions that were so clear to understand.

The only thing that had interrupted their moments was a grunt from a familiar voice that had alerted Eric to prepare a facade.

"Eric!" Haknyeon beamed, wiping the sweat on his forehead. "How do you find this place? It's amazing."