34

A soft knock on the door did not even make Eric flinch, nor did he care to open it right away. Instead, he pretended not to hear and kept doing what he initially was doing.

Of course, it was a disappointment for his mother to be treated like that, but the lady understood the situation with her whole heart.

For they argued again last night.

Coming home after meeting Haneul, Eric couldn't help smiling, remembering every interaction the two had before Haneul had to leave. Though the confession wasn't that romantic and maybe still lacking in every aspect, Eric was positive about it.

Perhaps Haneul had left so that she could think about it thoroughly. After all, what had interrupted her was the people around them. The people who had no right to tell them what they should or shouldn't do.

Eventually, that lover boy's symptoms of his however were too evident at the dining table while the family was having dinner. It got caught by his parents right away.

Didn't know what had gone wrong, but then the topic about that thing had resurfaced, making Eric grumble. His mood had been ruined - totally, and his head was a mess.

He told them - politely, that he didn't want to think about it for now. But yes, it had escalated into another heated argument.

And unfortunately, the boy was holding grudges until today.

"Where are you going?" Mrs. Sohn asked from the door, watching his son do the outfit check through the mirror.

Eric sighed. There was something about his mother that he was unable to be mad for too long. The lady was always trying to be understanding though she also had her own goals.

"I'm going to Hyunjae's house, checking for Haneul," slowly, the boy turned on his heels and found his mother's face. "Yesterday, she didn't look good. I wonder how is she."

Silence.

His mother's face was hard to unravel. It was the same expression he saw on the day he told her that he had a crush on Haneul. That exact expression was now appearing, adding curiosity more into Eric's head.

"Look, Mom," he scooted closer to the lady, reaching for her hand. "I'm sorry about last night. I'm not in the right mind."

That was soothing. As a mother, to have such a private talk with her child was something precious that no mother in the world wanted to lose the chance. And it had brought a smile back on her face as she placed a palm on Eric's cheek.

"I understand," she said as Eric nuzzled more into her touch. "But, can you think about it again? We're doing this for your own sake."

But he was the opposite. Not even a bit he understood what did that mean. For his own sake? It was more to asking him to do something he was unwilling to do.

"Give me some time. I'm still confused over this thing," Eric assured, his eyes were delivering the message that his mother could easily understand.

That he had agreed to think about it.

Placing a kiss on her cheek, Eric trailed down the stairs, going past the living room where his father was - reading a newspaper, and straightaway to the front door. Deep inside, he wished he ain't hesitated to leave as he stood at the threshold.

But unfortunately, he did. He won't be able to leave until he says it.

Sighing, he yelled, "Be right back! Heading out for a while."

A rustling sound was heard probably from the newspaper, Mr. Sohn had alerted just like how Eric had planned. Now he could leave the house without any worries.