Chapter 48

Spencer had insisted on taking me for a fancy date night. The last few weeks came with a lot of body dysmorphia and anxiety as my body continued to change with our growing baby. Spence often found me struggling to feel good in clothing, not wanting to do anything social and withdrawing, and even subconsciously pulling away from him through no longer changing in front of him or showering with him. Truthfully the whole thing hit me harder than I expected. While looking at my growing stomach filled me with love knowing that our baby was getting closer and closer to arrival, it also caused me to begin to hate my appearance. One night, he came home to find me crying in our closet; it took him a while to finally get me to admit what was wrong and how I had this irrational fear he would leave because I didn't see myself as desirable to him anymore. Despite all of this, he was never anything but compassionate and loving to me, trying to support me without invalidating the way I was feeling (which just made him even hotter to me, and drove me mad in all the best ways). So when he suggested we do a fancy date night, I agreed and began to get really excited about it in the lead-up. Penelope, Prentiss and JJ took me shopping to find a pretty dress that accommodated my bump, and they really helped boost my confidence.

Spencer had to run a few errands before our date night, so I took that extra time to do my hair and makeup. It had felt like an eternity since I put in this kind of effort, and I ended up recreating the same makeup look I did the night of our first real date over a year ago. I curled my hair and pulled half of it back into a clip, topping off the whole look with some diamond earrings and a necklace Spencer had given me. Just as I finished getting ready, there was a knock at the door. Opening the door revealed Spence, standing there in dress pants, a purple button-down shirt and black tie, topped with a suit jacket. In his hand was a bouquet of soft pink dahlia flowers, my favourite. He looked me up and down, his jaw dropped ever so slightly as he gasped.

"Never in my life, have I seen someone so beautiful" he said softly as he strode towards me, taking my face in his free hand and kissing me like his life depended on it. "How'd I ever get so lucky?" He whispered as we broke the kiss, and I could feel my cheeks blush as the butterflies in my stomach took flight.

"You look incredible, Spence. Wow" I said as I took in his sature. Good god this man was beyond handsome, it still catches me off guard.

"These are for the most beautiful woman on the planet" he said as he handed me the bouquet. I smiled and took them, smelling them as I turned to go put them in a vase.

"Thank you, my love. They're beautiful." I put the vase on the kitchen island and turned back to face him still at the door, leaving against the door frame and admiring me. "So, where are we going tonight?" I asked playfully, causing him to smile ever so slightly.

"I guess you'll find out" he took my hand in his, interlacing our fingers as we left the apartment and locked the door behind us. He led me to the car, opening my door and doing my seatbelt for me. He even let me pick the music on the drive over, never once letting go of my hand. He told me various interesting facts like he first did when we began dating, and for the first time in a few weeks, I felt nothing but youth and joy; not a single negative thought, worry, or sadness. We pulled up the the valet of a fancy Italian restaurant, and headed towards the door, past the line and right to the hostess.

"Good evening, do you have a reservation?" The hostess greeted us with a smile.

"Hello, yes reservation for two under Reid" Spence said, squeezing my hand lovingly.

"Of course, right this way" she led us to a table in the corner, the window beside us overlooking a beautiful river through a park, candles lit the table, and the ambiance was pure romance.

"Wow, Spence. This is already just— amazing. Thank you, for all of this" I said as he reached for my hand across the table, his thumb rubbing the back of my hand.