F O R T Y F O U R

When Sunday rolled around, Normani could sense Y/n growing anxious. She was beginning to get nervous herself. Neither of them knew how Sebastian would react to the news of his father dying so soon and having to move across the country to live with Y/n. The last thing they wanted was to turn his world upside down, but the conversation needed to be had.

The adults decided it was best to talk to him and break it down as early as they could to help him ease into the situation. So, today would be that day. James also brought his will for Y/n to read so she could see everything laid out in plain sight. Before they called him into the living room, Normani called Megan and Amala over to keep the kids occupied while they spoke to James first.

"So you already know about the college fund I have for him. It's about $130,000 in there. I've been putting my commission checks into it since I heard about him being born and it's accrued some interest so, hopefully it'll be enough to cover it for him. I know you guys are well off but I don't want you to have to worry about that."

"It's not an issue covering that cost for him, at all. We're gonna do everything we can to make sure he has what he needs until he can support himself, college included." Normani chimes in.

"Mani's right. Whatever your fund can't cover, we'll happily pay ourselves. We're gonna love and care for him like he's our own son." Y/n agreed.

"I know you will, and I can't thank you enough. However, this is me trying to thank you." James flipped the pages of the will. "Y/n you may not remember, but your mother and I had taken several vacations together with our friends from church to a log cabin when you were a kid."

"Yeah I remember that, you used to go to somewhere in northern Maryland right?"

"Yup. The log cabin is actually mine. I inherited it from my father, and now I'm giving it to you two. It's been remodeled and everything. Sleeps about ten people since some of the rooms have bunk beds, use it to your hearts content, and take the kids out there." James handed them each a set of keys to the home.

"We will, thank you." Normani smiled. Y/n smiled down at the keys, not sure what to say next so she just nodded in agreement with her wife.

"The rest of the will is just about insurance policies and stuff like that. You guys can look through it but it's all laid out in here." he passed them both a copy. "About the next few months, I got the results from the tests and they've actually given me four months to live at best. The cancer has spread to my lungs and it's very aggressive."

"Dad..." Y/n uttered that title for the first time in years. James looked shocked and began to tear up at the word. To Y/n, it started to really sink in that he would be gone soon. It didn't seem fair. Right when they were on somewhat of good terms, he's snatched away from her just like that? "There's really nothing they can do?"

"No, but it's okay. I'll be okay." James smiled sadly.

"But I just got you back.." Y/n whispered softly. Normani grabbed her hand and arm to comfort her.

"I know kiddo, but you'll be fine in time. You've done amazing things in my absence, I know you can overcome this too. You've built a village around you. And we'll make the most out of these four months, okay?"

"Yeah." Y/n smiled and took a deep breath before she continued. "So how do you guys think we should go about moving Sebastian here? Should we start the process now or wait until.."

"Well, I'm gonna be staying here for the remaining few months since the doctors are here. So, it'll probably be best to transition him into your lifestyle now instead of waiting." James answered.

"I agree, I want this to be a smooth as possible for him. I think dealing with the loss and moving to another state and school would be a lot at once. Especially since it's still summer time. He can start at his new school for the new school year and get on track." Normani chimed in.