Chapter 52-Jackie

Start from the beginning

"I see that, can't imagine Mr. Haufman would be happy about that."

"Well, Mr Haufman is just going to have to accept that I'm trying to save my marriage." The words came out a little harsher and definitely got my attention.

He was still trying to save his marriage, did he really think it could be salvaged after everything.

"With how much effort you seem to be putting in I can only imagine things must be going well.'

"Don't."

"What?"

"Act like you actually care."

"I do care... I care about you." The elevator dinged to let us know we were at the lobby. Jonathan exited without a second glance and I found myself following him but not out the building. At some point I stopped and watched longingly at him through the windows as he disappeared.
                  ~~~~~~

When I came back upstairs Harriet was right where I left her. She then continued to explain the research she needed as she helped one of the fellow partners, Ms. Bennett, close out a case.

Harriet was exiting my office when a knock on the door frame caught my attention.

"Mr. Haufman." Harriet said on her way out, he gave a simple nod in acknowledgement.

I was surprised to see him at my door, Mr. Haufman was our Managing Partner. He helped build this law firm from the ground up and got his name on the wall faster than any lawyer at his time. He was in his mid 50s with a tint of salt and pepper in his hair and beard. About 6'2 and you could see he was very well fit at his age.

"Mr. Haufman." I said stopping what I was doing as I saw him slowly walk in with a file in hand. "What can I do for you?"

"I went to  Jonathan's office but his assistant said he had to leave early."

Just by that statement alone I knew he wasn't impressed. He liked his workers doing their damn job especially during the hours we are being paid for. "Yes sir, it...  was family related." If you asked why, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I meant it when I said I cared for Jonathan, even if he was hurting me in the process.

Mr. Haufman paused as he took in my statement. It was like he was trying to gauge if I was lying for him. Though I wasn't. This whole trying to save my marriage did fall into the family related column.  "I see, well,  there is a new client coming onboard, I will be overseeing it due to its high profile of course but I wanted Jonathan to take lead on it."

"That's great! Though with all due respect sir, I'm not sure what that has to do with me."

"Well, I figured you would like to be the paralegal on the case." Jonathan has practically black listed me from any and all his cases. Though it seems like he wasn't going to let Mr. Haufman know about that. It would only cause questions.

I took a breath, "You want me?"

"You may be young Jackie but you're talented, hell if you wanted to, you could be a lawyer." That really fueled my ego, I knew how good I was and no one not even the damn boss could deny my talents.

"Thank you sir."

"Right, well. Here is a general synopsis of the client and what they will be needing from us." He stated as he placed the file on my desk. "Become familiar with the material.  After the initial meeting with the CEO and Founder of the Company we will then be sent the rest of their documents to review. I expect you to get Jonathan up to speed."

"Yes sir, thank you sir." And with a firm nod of acknowledgment he left.

I guess Jonathan doesn't have a choice but to work with me.

I happily picked up the file and leaned back in my chair as I started going over the information.

Mr. Haufman wasn't kidding when he said this was a high profile client. I was elated as I read the name of the multi billionaire client we were about to land:  Precision Fixes & Tires

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I know I haven't been updating, I promise I am not disappearing again. 😫 Things have been very hectic so I hope you are still around to enjoy this chapter! 🤗

POV: The Author still didn't update🙄:

Thank you again for all your support! 🥹 Don't forget to VOTE & COMMENT!💗

See you next time!😉