Epilogue

Crispin's POV

Fourteen years later

Things with Carter got worse.

Especially as he got older. We had hoped that Sean would be the thing that we needed for us to resemble some sort of family but we were wrong. The two were fine when they were kids but as they got older, things changed. 

They argue all the time, they don't even breathe the same air. Both are constantly complaining about one another it gets overwhelming sometimes. Then a year after Sean was born we had Addison, and she wasn't planned either but she is the only girl and she is spoiled. 

But she seems to be the peace between the two. She gets along with both and whenever she is not around we all can tell. 

Dieter and I hadn't realized that it would get worse, that the bond between us would become even more strained. But it had. We tried our best to parent him, in a way that wasn't domineering or aggressive but it always came out that way no matter how hard we tried.

It was now midnight and we were all up waiting for Carter to get home. I had no idea where he went but I do know he left because of an argument with Sean. He must have said something to him. But there was only one way to find out since Sean was tightlipped.

The door to the house finally opened and in walked Carter. My eyes worriedly went over his frame to make sure he wasn't hurt. It wouldn't have mattered how many times we called him or texted him. He wouldn't have answered. He never does. But that's not his fault. I wouldn't answer my call either given the situation.

"Carter. Here. Now." Dieter's voice broke through the silence and it made the house shake. I could hear Carter sigh and mumble something under his breath as he walked towards us.

"Where the hell were you?" 

"A friend." 

Carter had matured over the years. He now stood firm and was only getting bigger by the day. And looking more like me by the day. I loved it. He hated it.

"You've been gone all night young man." Dieter was seething. He was angry because we didn't know how long he'd be gone. We also were angry because we didn't know any of Carter's friends to even ask around to find him. 

"You don't care." He mumbled it lowly but I still heard it. It was a knife to my heart. I did care. I did care so much that it hurt me. I cried myself to sleep every night because of it. But I can't tell him that. "It's not even that late."

"You have school in the morning." Dieter rumbled out which made Carter roll his eyes.

"Great. Can I go to bed now?"

"Watch the attitude," I spoke up and it was almost as if I could see him flinch at my voice. 

"I don't have an attitude. But I don't think it's fair Sean can be out all night, but I can't. I'm also seventeen, I can take care of myself." His eyes were glued to the floor like usual. During lectures like these, he never liked to look at us. 

"You're right Sean can go out." Because Sean calls and lets us know. Because Sean doesn't leave for hours on end without telling someone. Because I don't worry about Sean that way I worry about you. But can I tell him that? No.

"This is bullshit."

"Watch your mouth, young man!" I yelled, and I'm sure if Carter's head wasn't already down it would be now. My alpha voice slipped out. Not on purpose. It was never on purpose.

However, I didn't miss how Sean snickered on the couch behind us. Only adding fuel to the fire.

"You not going to say anything?" I could hear the hurt in his voice as we ignored Sean. This wasn't about Sean, it was about him. 

"Whatever." Carter scoffed and crossed his arms. Then he went stiff but only for a second, and I knew what that meant.

"Carter would like to go to bed now." His voice was deeper and the energy around him changed. He was now looking at us but that wasn't our Carter. That was Tatty, Theodore.

"Theodore, we need to talk to Carter." I sighed, feeling defeated.

"No, we are going to bed. We have school." He turned on his heels and headed towards the staircase but stopped. "Aunt Rena knew where Carter was. Call her. She will tell you." Then he was gone.

"Can't believe you're going to have him be the alpha. He's a coward hiding behind his wolf." Sean seethed out. 

"Sean. Upstairs. Now." I gritted through my teeth trying to calm myself down and not hurt my other son. He scoffed but listened and quickly ran up the stairs.

Dieter was beside me in seconds. Wrapping his arms around me as tears began to flow. I thought that as time went on it would be easier between us and Carter. But I was wrong. The bond was broken whether we liked it or not. My son hated me, and I couldn't change it. And no matter how much I love him and no matter how much I want to tell him. I can't.

I physically cannot. My body goes stiff my throat goes dry and I forget all words. 

There is nothing left for us to do. But hope and pray.

Hope and pray that by some miracle our Carter is saved from us.

From this life, we are plagued to live.

All I want is for him to be happy...smiling...in love. 

And far away from us where we can no longer hurt him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Announcement next chapter...

Until the next...