Twenty-Two

Dieter's POV

Numb. 

That was the only thing that I have felt since leaving my mate across the country. So far away from me. On top of the newfound information about Carter and him being the sacrifice. Life is shit right now. 

As well as my pack. Our numbers from sparing went down again and the members are getting sneakier in hiding themselves in the pack. Which I suppose is good for them. My patience is at an all-time low, and if I were to see another one again I might snap their neck. 

I was currently fighting the urge to join sparring, but I knew I shouldn't. I would kill someone if I joined. Especially now since Crispin's phone broke and I haven't spoken to him in a day. Every nerve in my body was on the edge. Anger was swallowing me whole. In a way that was leaking out of me. I was seconds away from snapping something in half. 

The separation was affecting me differently than my Crispin. He was in pain, and I knew it was worse seeing as he was all alone there. He had no family, and no support system other than Rena. But even then, she was constantly talking with Danielle. 

It ached my heart to know he was alone and I was here. His family was here. I knew it wouldn't be as bad for me, I busied myself with pack matters and my family was constantly on my ass to make sure I am working. As well as Koa and Tino. As they prepare for Sloan, they keep me busy. But Crispin didn't have that. He was left with his thoughts.

I can't imagine how bad I'd be if I was left with my thoughts.

I'd probably kill someone. Or someones. 

"Dieter!" Danielle's voice was filled with worry as she yelled. I turned and saw her running and my body went ice cold. Something was wrong.

She was before me in an instance holding her phone for me to grab. In big black letters read Baby which I assume is Rena. I put the phone to my ear and took a deep breath.

"Hello?" I rumbled out. Anxiety fills my bones.

"Dieter. I'm putting Crispin on a plane, and you need to pick him up from the airport." She spoke too quickly, it was too hard to understand.

"What? What happened?" Anxiety riddled my bones. Guilt began to make an entrance, I should have known, but over the past few days our bond has been strained and it's hurting us. Making it harder to feel what the other is feeling. 

"He will land at at three in the morning. Make sure to be there." I held my growl in annoyance at her not answering. But she sounded just as flustered.

"Rena, is he okay?"

"No! He's not okay! You two are idiots! Marking each other then thinking you could be away from each other again! I've never seen him like this! He looks sick and he is depressed. He didn't even feed or take care of Carter at all today! I found him outside in the dark, alone! What the fuck." 

I never pegged Rena to be a yeller, she always seems to have a levelhead. But her voice held nothing but pure, unadulterated anger. 

"Carter was outside? Is he okay?" I asked hurriedly. My chest tightens and Carlisle whines, unable to do anything to get to our family.

"No! I found him crying, wet, and hungry! It's cold here, Dieter! He was outside in nothing but a jacket! It's 40 degrees! Crispin didn't even care! Didn't get up to look at him at all!" 

I wanted to cuss her out for talking badly about our mate. But I couldn't bring myself to defend him. Not about this. 

"He told him to leave! Are you hearing me?" Rena spoke, moreso yelled again.