Nine

Dieter's POV

"What is it, son?" My father's voice boomed as he walked into my office. My mother was behind him. They sat across my desk hand in hand, with a smile on their face.

My conversation with Crispin from last night was on repeat in my head all day. His face when I told him...I could see it in his eyes he was scared. Though his saying he wouldn't reject me eased some fears that I had, there was still underlying thought: what is our sacrifice?

"I have to tell you something." I kept my voice steady though on the inside I was quite nervous to tell them.

"Go on." I got the deepness of my voice from my father. Mine might have rumbled, but his caused earthquakes.

"I met my mate."

I knew I wouldn't be met with congratulations or a pat on the back. Not because they weren't happy for me, but because of the reality of what it would mean for me. My parents also believed that my sacrifice was my mate. And I had spent years coming to terms with it, and I was sort of okay with it. But now...now I'm at a loss.

"Oh. Okay... Well--" My mother began to speak as her eyes held worry. Not just for me but for the family. There was always a fear that these sacrifices would become worse over time, that one would result in death. In one of us.

"How do you feel?" She asked, her voice soothing me.

"I told him, about the sacrifice. He was fine with it. Or so it seems. Right now, it's all hypothetical until it is revealed with the sacrifice is there is no way of dealing with it." I told her truthfully.

"Perhaps, you don't have one?" My father groaned at my mother's optimism. Even after all these years, and all this time, she still believed that this deal could be broken.

"He has one. We all do." My father's voice was stern in rough. Not towards my mother, but the topic at hand. "It'd be foolish and unwise to think otherwise." He squeezed my mother's hand and she nodded, tears brimming her eyes.

"What do you think it is, Pooh?" The term of endearment that my mother called me always warmed my heart. It made me believe there was something more to life than violence and sacrifices.

"I don't know. But I don't want to stall my life to find out. I'm planning a visit to go see Crispin for a week. And during that time we are going to figure things out."

"Why not have him come here?" My father asked, raising an eyebrow. He hated when I left the pack for too long.

"He has a son, Carter. And it would be easier if I go to them. Plus he is the Alpha of his pack and since they are smaller, he doesn't have much outside help like we do." My father nodded and my mother's face bloomed with a smile.

"Oh, he has a kid? That's wonderful, pooh! We would love to meet them." Her voice was light and airy, excitement evident in her tone.

"Of course, mom. Soon." Father cleared his throat as he stood, mother followed ensuite.

"Protect yourself, Dieter. Your mate might not be your sacrifice, but there still is one." I nodded and my parents left the room a moment after. The door was held open and I saw Danielle peaking around. She slid in the door after them, to some her face would look vacant and distant of emotion. But to me, I can tell she was worried.

"That was intense." She spoke as she sat in the chairs across from me.

"As is every encounter with our father." My eyes went to the computer as a bunch of unknown numbers and words stared back at me.

During this time away from Crispin I found it hard to get any work done. My mind wandered back to him time and time again.

"I have to tell Rena, I fear that--" Her voice softened as the words caught in her throat. I knew what she meant, and I could see the uncertainty on her face.