Chapter Thirty-Three

Mulai dari awal

When they left my apartment, I locked all three locks on my door and sighed. My body drifted slowly down the door frame until I was seated on the floor of my apartment.

My body barely noticed the impact of their presence, but the second they were gone, my apartment suddenly grew cold.

I was home alone again.

It may seem like a small gesture, but simply being around me was enough to help me feel safe. The growing pit in my lower regions made me regret not going with them.

Although I had work to keep me busy, there was a lesser possibility of me getting anything done today. Aiden said he wouldn't let me slack off, but I was feeling sorry for myself. How could I focus on working when my life was upside down?

After a long time on the floor, I decided to start with a simple task, like taking a shower. As I walked to my bedroom, I looked over to the spot where Aiden stood while he was in my apartment. Maybe I should have asked him to say.

There was a strong part of me that wanted to rely on him because I was genuinely afraid of my mother. There has never been a successful attempt at my standing up to her. I always say I would then end up running away. There was no telling what she would do to me next.

I took a shower and put on some comfortable clothes. After that, I made a small bowl of oats and went to my workspace. Thanks to my busy workdays, I went to the office more times than I was supposed to. I didn't mind because I got to see Aiden.

As expected, my emails were flooded with tasks. It pissed Harvey enough to send me five update request emails yesterday. I could barely get any work done after my mother's visit. I sighed and started typing an apology email.

Before I could hit send on the email, my doorbell rang. My eyes lit up immediately, thinking it was one of my friends. If even one of them forgot something or tried to stay with me, I would be eternally grateful.

However, when I got to the monitor screen, my body froze in its steps as I saw who it was. My mother was calling a number on her phone outside my door. This time, she wasn't alone. She had Curtis and about five of my family bodyguards with her.

What did she want this time?

My phone began to vibrate, and I knew she was the one. I shut my mouth with my hand, fighting back the tears forcing their way out. It was hard to breathe, and my heart thumped at an increased pace. If I didn't know better, I'd say I was having a heart attack.

Beep.

"Nicole, I know you're in there. Open this door and you better be packed," my mother said to the monitor.

Oh no! She was here for me and she was going to force me to go against my will. I ran to my workspace and searched for my work Android phone. Zen had given it to me for testing purposes, but it was still activated.

"Curtis, get her to open this door now," my mother instructed, taking a step back.

Curtis was terrified of disobeying my mother, so he did whatever she asked. Some days, I wondered if I would have had an easier life if he treated me differently.

"Ms Banks, your mother is losing her patience. Please open the door and let's go home."

He pressed the doorbell again. Over and over till I couldn't take it anymore. I marched to the door, my body shaking like I was about to go on the electric chair, and pressed the intercom button.

"You can do this to me, Mom," I said. "Leave now or I'm calling the cops,"

"Why involve others in our family, Nicole? Open this door or I will be breaking it down," my mother replied.