Chapter 77: The forgotten girl act II

The three walked for what seemed to be an eternity. Anita's bare feet dragged through the gruel and cold mud, her feet stained with dirt as she followed behind the two. The kid looked back at her before saying.

???: "You were lucky. It's not everyday you'd be seein' us walk through town."

The man with the speargun scoffed before he used the harpoon at the end of his spear gun to point to a run down broken building. Blocks were sprawled out everywhere and the bricks barely bonded together..but it seemed feasible to live in. On the outside was a golden hand tagged with yellow spray paint in a spot light.

???: "Listen kid, this is where you'll be stayin'. Unless you fancy stayin' out there."

The man with the speargun scoffed as he stepped forward. Anita shook her head and gripped the bottom of her torn dress before following behind. As the group stepped in, there were kids and adults asleep on torn and dirty blankets. The man with the speargun used his index finger to beckon Anita to follow him. Anita nodded before following him, the other kid stayed where he was before walking somewhere else. The man with the speargun walked through halls, his long black tailcoat waved solemnly as he walked through the haunting corridors until he stopped in front of a red curtain.

???: "Sorry to intrude, but I got a new bunk mate for ya. Granny Baba."

In the corner of the room, sitting on a broken stool. There was a lady wearing what was supposed to be a colourful flowery dress, however it was stained and torn. The only thing that seemed to give this old woman colour was her crimson red scarf she wore around her head and neck.

Baba: "How delightful, welcome in little girl. What is your name?"

Her accent was Russian, but she had such a calm spirit that soothed anyone that got near to her. She seemed so pure. Anita looked down before shaking her head not saying a word.

???: "Baba. This kid doesn't speak. She's from the Pinna side, so she's seen hell. I've got stuff to do, so y'all can just do your thing. It's lights out soon, so don't get too much into conversations."

The man with the speargun left closing the curtain. The granny had a small smile before bowing her head at him. She then looked at the little girl before saying.

Baba: "If I can't get your name, then it does not matter. You are still welcome here."

Anita nodded before walking closer to her.

Granny Baba: "Would you like something to eat?"

Anita was about to shake her head but her stomach roared. Granny Baba giggled slightly before saying.

Granny Baba: "You are quite strong, you have a heart that would make the motherland proud if you refuse food while being starved. But we're not back in Russia, so eat dear."

Granny Baba grabbed a bowl and filled it with leftover stew before holding it over the fire. Soon the food was warmed up and Granny Baba held it out to Anita.

Granny Baba: "The food is hot so be careful, the bowl is cold so you'll be okay holding it."

Granny Baba informed with a kind and gentle smile. Anita grabbed the bowl before beginning to devour the contents inside. Granny Baba giggled before saying.

Granny Baba: "You have such a big appetite, that would even put the red army to shame."

Anita's cheeks flushed red slightly due to the embarrassment, but Granny Baba gently pet her head to ensure she felt safe and not offended. Anita had a small smile finally getting something to eat. Even in hell, she found some sort of hope. That hope was Granny Baba, she seemed like the voice of guide that guided those in the forsaken hell of Pinna.