Advise Magic

It was almost midnight when he arrived at their house. The lights were turned off in the living room, and the only dim brightness left was in the room of his parents. In this late at night, there were still giggling heard. He was so sure who giggled, though. Even if he does not want to disturb the two, he has to.

"Dad." He knocked once, and the giggles stopped. There was a long silence before mumbling was heard again.

"Dad, it's me." He knocked again, and footsteps came hurriedly. The door clicked, and it was open. The face of his father showed up first, followed by his mother tying her robe. Ah. He really did disturb his parents' hunky-punky night.

"Is something wrong? Are you running away? Did you fight with your teachers?!!" His overacting father had to state things that he wouldn't do, but that's just how he shows his love for his son.

"No, I'm here to talk to you." His eyes were full of pleading for his father to indulge him tonight. Seeing her son's desperate face, his wife tapped him on the shoulder and gestured to follow his son. "I'll bring you some drinks."

She knew it was a father-son talk, so she hurriedly placed the drinks and left them alone. "What do you want to ask your old man? Is this about your love life?"

Phayu nodded and said, "Rain and I confirmed our relationship~~~," he said, eyes sparkling but ears drooping. His father was ecstatic, almost jumping to celebrate, but before he could fully celebrate, Phayu added, "Then just yesterday we went to his mother's house to... you know, and the next morning, because we did it too much... we slept until noon, and we did not know that his father arrived."

Hearing about his son's private life was too much for him. How to unhear? Good thing it was not detailed! "So, you want to ask for help appeasing your father-in-law?"

Phayu nodded again.

"If I were Rain's father, I would be angry too. You eat my precious son in my territory. What else did he say? Let's analyze it together." When he was courting his wife, he already won his in-laws. It's always better to strike the gate first and then pluck the cabbage.

Phayu was silent, not knowing how to say it. He knew Rain's father was not only against them but against the kind of relationship they had. Though it is common for wizards to partner with people of the same gender, others still can't accept it.

The same gender had to use magic to create a child, while the opposite gender could do it naturally. Natural-born wizards have higher magic and can inherit both parents' magic, while magic-born wizards can only inherit one magic, and usually, it is the inferior magic that the body can handle.

Rain's household belongs to a prominent one, a well-known household that only has natural-born wizards. So, maybe this is the reason of his father? He does not know, and he can't be so sure.

"He said, Is it fun playing with my son? Have you had your fill, tainting him and leading him astray?!" Phayu narrated it with the same emotion as how Rain's father had said it, making his father surprised.

"Child, you don't have to put so much emotion into it. Don't startle your father's pure heart." He rubbed his heart and drank what his wife had prepared. His wife is still the best; she knew that he needed a tonic to calm him down!

Phayu nodded again and continued, "You lovesick fools were not content showing how disgusting you are at school, and now you even had to do it in your mother's house?!!!" He was so into it that he forgot what his father requested. He ended up saying it with all his heart!

"Okay. Okay." His father stopped him. It's enough information already, and he can deduce that Rain's father felt the house was disrespected. "Why did he say 'your mother's house?"

"Rain said it was the house owned by his late mother, and it was given to him. When we arrived there, it was full of dirt, like no one had been there for so long. That's why Rain was shocked when he saw his father."

"En. I understood now. First, that man can't accept the fact that his wife is gone. It's only natural for one not to visit a place that will remind them about the absence of a beloved. If your mother is gone in the future, I might do the same... in denial." The drink in the cup was now half full, and the atmosphere turned serious all of a sudden.

"Second, because it was his beloved's, it's also natural to be angry seeing you two there. If he is against same-gender relationships, then it's even more reasonable. To him, that place is sacred and should not be tainted."

Phayu was listening intently; all his father's words seemed true. As he listens, he can't help but agree with his words.

"Third, as a single father, he wanted to make his wife proud. He wanted Rain to live an accomplished life, rise above everyone, and be different from everyone. He said you are leading him astray; maybe seeing you together gave him a sense of danger. That if you continue to be with Rain, Rain will eventually forget their goal."

His father patted his shoulder and said sincerely, "You have three things to solve here: one, make his father understand that you love his son and that relationship will not affect Rain's progress; two, make him forgive you for disrespecting the house; and three, let him see that a same-gender relationship is no different from opposite gender. Love is love after all."

Then he proceeds, "When I decided to pursue your mother, his father was also against me, but I'm a thick face, and I love your mother so much that every day I go to their house, waiting outside the gate. While waiting, I prune the dead branches in his favorite fruit tree, weed the grass, and plant his wife's favorite flower. It took me two months before he opened that gate!"

"What I wanted to say is show him your sincerity, persevere, have patience, and hit him in the heart. Understand?"

Phayu nodded and shook his head. He understood, but somehow he did not understand. His father laughed and consoled him, "It's okay. Ask Rain about his father, and then you will know what to do."

After all, one shoe does not fit all.