Chapter 26: Demon King Yuri Is Born!

――When I opened my eyes, I found myself in the back alley in the ‘Beginning Town’.

No, to be more accurate, the back alley in the special field that looked exactly like the Beginning Town. I couldn’t hear the voices of NPCs hawking their wares, and when I looked up, the sky was dyed red.

As I was grasping the information about the surroundings, a voice suddenly echoed from the sky.

[Well, the battle event has finally begun! I, Navi, the Player-Navigating Fairy, have been tasked to be the commentator for today’s event! Players, long time no see~!]

“Oh, it’s Navi. It sure has been a while since I last saw her.”

I recalled the appearance of the little fairy who had helped me when I started the game.

So she got a job as a commentator, huh. Was she aiming to be the mascot of this game?

[All right, now I will give a little supplementary explanation for the participants who are currently on the special field~!

Can you see the number “30036” at the corner of your vision? That’s the number of players who are still alive!

Also, there’s a barrier surrounding the field, which shrinks as time passes. You can’t go outside the barrier; in other words, you will be fighting while moving toward the center of the town.

You can check your current location on the map, so please be careful not to find yourself in a situation where the barrier is closing in on your back and you have nowhere to escape!]

Listening to Navi’s words, I hurriedly checked the map. I saw that I was currently located just around the corner of fountain square in the middle of the town.

Wait, that meant I was practically at the center! The players were all going to converge here from every direction!

[That’s all for the supplementary explanation! Well then, to all participants of the battle royale, please keep an eye on your recovery potions and do your best~!]

After that, [Now, everyone in the audience, go on and place your bet on who will be the last man standing~! Currently, the most popular choice is Zansword, and…] Navi began to promote gambling. Glad she was doing well.

“Now then, should I get moving?”

Hiding in the back alley like a rat wasn’t my thing. I walked toward the square.

But I had only taken a couple of steps when a mage-like player wearing a hooded robe appeared at the entrance of the alley. He gave me a vulgar smile. “Well, well, look what we’ve got here! I was gonna hide in the alley, and I stumbled upon a dying player! I don’t know nor care where you escaped from, but this is the end of the road for you!”

“Dying? You can see my HP?”

“Clearly, thanks to my rare skill, ‘Vitality Sensing’. I can see there’s only one dot left on your HP bar. I’ll finish you off before you can recover!” As he shouted, the mage manifested his staff and shot a fireball toward me.

This was a back alley, unfortunately. I couldn’t dodge left or right.

“Hyahahaha! Drop dead!!” A confident smile spread across the mage’s face. Oh, but.

“Hup.” I repelled the incoming flame bulled with the back of my fist, extinguishing it. My fist was invincible thanks to the effect of the ‘God-Slaying Fist’ skill.

The mage, having no clue of that, goggled at the scene. “W-w-w-w-what the hell was thaaaaaaaaaaat?!”

“I’ve got no obligation to tell you. Do it, Maa-kun!”