Chapter 95: Uncovering the Truth

Start from the beginning

"And how would you have done it? I conquered Harrenhal while you took your time seizing Stone Hedge."

"Because, unlike yourself, I talk with people rather than resorting to intimidation tactics." More importantly, I don't harm little children. Jaehaerus decided to take charge of the situation and personally question them himself, composed and determined to uncover any information that could be useful to the cause.

Daemon sneered. "You lack conviction, Jaehaerys," he commented.

With a quick glance over his shoulders, Jaehaerys fired back, "And you lack self-restraint, Daemon," before swiftly turning away. His disdain towards unnecessary cruelty was a core part of his being. As he surveyed the surroundings, he couldn't shake off the feeling of unease. The stronghold of House Strong, once trusted allies of the crown under the leadership of Lord Lyonel and Ser Harwin, had become the stronghold of the adversarial noble houses of the Blacks. Life under the rule of Larys Strong was nothing like what he had expected. Jaehaerys had a nagging suspicion about the sudden rise to power of the Clubfoot, which only grew stronger in his subconscious. It had been six long years, and the Lykiri Mere were investigating closely but not revealing much. He needed to know the truth for himself.

Jacaerys noticed his cousin's thoughtful expression. "Something bothering you, Jay?" he inquired.

"Do you recall when we first learned of the tragedy at Harrenhal six years ago?"

"Yes, I remember. While it was officially deemed an accident, His Grace appeared to be unconvinced regarding the matter. I recall that he had his men initiate an internal inquiry; however, it has been six years since then. Why?"

Jaehaerys examined the prisoners. Looking back on it now, I don't think it was an accident. "There might be something the crown's agents missed. See what you can do for the refugees," he speculated-one of House Strong's high-ranking leaders, someone close enough to Larys to at least know something. No, I think father's agents were intercepted... by someone. They would have left no stone unturned otherwise. "If I may, I would like to ask if you happen to be Ser Simon Strong. Harrenhal's castellan?" he inquired politely, directing his attention towards an elderly man who was bound and tied and kept apart from the rest of the prisoners.

"Ah. So... you're Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen. Named after the Old King," Simon emitted a pained grunt as he shifted his body to alleviate the discomfort caused by his knees pressing into the unforgiving dirt. The metal chains around his wrists dug into his flesh, causing his wrists to strain. "I've heard much about you from the servants. I would offer a formal greeting, but, as you can see, I'm in no position to offer anything now."

"Were you mistreated?"

"I might be an old man, but... mmm! I can take it. Nothing that hasn't been done to me compared to what lies in store for me once Queen Beatrice learns of our surrender."

More likely she already does. "You weren't given a choice, ser. None of your men were." Jaehaerys put his hands behind his back, and his posture straightened. "As difficult as it was, the decision to surrender the castle to save the lives of your men demonstrates courage in the face of adversity."

"Courage? I knew the dangers when Prince Daemon came with his dragon atop the Kingspyre Tower. I am not a fool. Harren the Black dared to defy Aegon Targaryen, and he and his sons were burned alive in this cursed place," Simon replied with disappointment. "I knew the battle was lost before it even started. No fortress can withstand the power of a dragon. So, yes, I surrendered as long as my men were spared. It's a shame we weren't treated with any special consideration. Stupid boy, Larys. Leaving me in charge of our family's castle with only a handful of men..."