Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

I knew that Aiden and I could never happen. Especially after he said we should be friends. However, I never expected him to have a fiance soon. As soon as I realised my feelings for him, I received the most brutal heartbreak.

"You're awake?" Halo said, surprising me. "It's not even 4 am,"

I turned on the lights in my living room to see him seated on my couch playing a game. How long has he been playing games in the dark? He was live streaming, but luckily, I wasn't in the frame.

"Guys, my sick friend is awake. I gotta go," Halo said to the people on the livestream and ended it.

Halo paused the game and turned to smile at me. Things were very awkward, so I couldn't smile back. Was he pretending the kiss didn't happen? I hoped he was still here so we could talk about it, but his smile insinuated we didn't talk about it.

If we avoided the topic, it would be a problem in the future.

"Don't look at me like that Noir, I feel guilty as it is," Halo said.

"Oh thank God," I breathed out.

"Why?"

"I thought you would pretend it didn't happen,"

"Unlike what my sister would say, I'm not a child,"

Halo tapped on the space next to him on the couch and I went and sat next to him.

"I'll be honest with you because I want our friendship to last for a long time," he said. "The truth is, I like you, but not like you think. After you disappeared, I realised you were the only real friend I ever had. I always thought about you and I was willing to do anything to support you, even if it meant becoming your lover. Yes, I did think about that a lot."

"I'm surprised," I said honestly.

Until I read his old messages, I never considered the possibility of Halo like me. However, it was easy to understand him. He waited so long for me and continued our friendship like we were apart for two months.

"After seeing the people you have around you, I'm relaxed." Halo took my hand. "I know they've got your back as much as I do. I don't want anything else from you other than being your friend. I'm sorry if that kiss ruined everything."

"It's ok. I feel guilty too because it feels like I used you," I replied.

"You can use me for anything Noir. just not for that. I could end up dying before my time,"

"What do you mean?" I laughed.

"I know you like my cousin,"

"Oh,"

A blush immediately crept to my cheeks. Was I that obvious?

"I don't know what the real situation is, so I can't really help you. Our family is kinda complicated," he said.

"Mine too," I replied.

"Aiden and I are rivals in everything, but I don't want to fight for you with him. It won't be pretty,"

"Do you think you could steal me away from him?"

"If I wanted to steal you away, I could, but I don't want to do that. You'll end up hating me if I hurt him,"

It felt like he was withdrawing for my sake, but his uneasiness told me otherwise. Halo and Aiden fought like brothers. I was jealous of Aiden when I knew he had Jessi, but he had Halo, too. I was alone with no one to bicker with for a long time.

"You sound like you have something against him though," I teased.

"No, I don't," he scratched his head.