The End of an Era (338-340)

The vampire part - was in fact - ignored for now.

Not because people just registered the information and went "Meh.", but rather because there was simply too much going on at the moment. The battle with the White Star was far from enjoyable, it left a sour taste in most of the participants' mouths.

Also, a vampire in their midst would have surprised some if the dragons didn't reveal themselves first.

The only one who spluttered, utterly confused and feeling like he missed half of the plot, was Deruth.

"What? Your son? And who is Naru?", he asked, slightly hysterical. His left brow twitched unrhythmically, showcasing his frustration.

A dragon previously claimed Cale as his own and Deruth did not have the means to fight a dragon. The only thing he could do was admit defeat. He is not blind, thank you very much. Eruhaben, the dragon, accompanied Cale everywhere and protected him whereas Deruth certainly could not. It would be foolish of him to just jump up and declare loudly that Cale is only his son.

Cale is Deruth's son.

This is a fact that won't change.

Just as Kim Rok Soo is his son.

In a way, he is thankful for all those people who protect and cherish Cale.

Deruth failed in that regard.

He failed his son, who grew up believing that he could depend on nobody. He also failed the son who arrived later and paved his own path, leaving Deruth behind. "Leave the past in the past" sounded so simple.

It isn't.

With a heavy heart, Deruth accepted that he played another role in Cale's life. He was the father who awaited him at home, listening to his adventures with a smile and worry in his eyes while Cale ate delicious food, filling his belly with warmth and washing away the heavy thoughts.

He will never be the parent who accompanies Cale on his adventures, protecting him from pain and standing tall in front of him so that Cale can display weakness.

Deruth also will never be the parent that Cale seeks out to ask for their opinion. A parent who guides him from the shadows and takes on the dirty jobs so that Cale can shine brighter.

Both of these roles are filled by Eruhaben and Ron. Deruth will not fight them.

However.

Deruth will certainly fight that loony vampire that popped up from nowhere to claim Cale. Who the fuck does he think he is?! Cale already has three fathers. There is no more space!

Fredo did not see or acknowledge the annoyance Deruth was emitting in waves. He just beamed happily and jumped around – elegantly keeping his wine glass filled and spill-free – while gushing about Cale's cuteness and how Naru was just the perfect son any father could wish for.

Cotton just sat in her seat with a face that spelled eternal regret.

"My Naru, he loves cookies, you know? His cheeks puff up so cutely when he munches on them.", Fredo beamed.

Deruth's sanity snapped.

"I don't know about the "your" part but if you are really talking about Cale – and not Naru, because Cale is Cale – he will naturally enjoy cookies. All sweet things, especially, cookies and pastries will be enjoyed. His favorite ones are the strawberry marmalade-filled ones from our chef."

Deruth tried to ignore the glare that Beacrox sent him. It was for the greater good!

Fredo huffed in amusement.