epilogue

Y/n's POV - *Avengers Compound*

Bruce and I jump out of our chairs at the sound of shouting. The team has been plotting to take down Madam Hydra for months. Today was that day. Every facility has been destroyed, they've already been grasping on to life. If the team succeeds, it almost guarantees Hydra's downfall. But the panicked shouting signals that something went wrong. Someone is hurt.

Natasha drags Clint into the room, his right abdomen covered in blood. Bruce helps Natasha lift him onto the bed, "What happened?"

"He was shot, some sort of energy weapon. Possibly built using the Tesseract."

Bruce examines the wound, "Doesn't look to have done any real damage, the shot just grazed you. For now, we sanitize and wrap." He grabs a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a pad. "I'm sorry." He pours the liquid onto the wound. As it seeps into the tissue, it sounds like someone is sauteeing vegetables.

Clint groans loudly and squeezes Natasha's hand.

More commotion catches my attention. Tony carries Peter into the room, laying him down on the other bed. "Gunshot wound, left shoulder."

Like Clint, Peter's suit has been torn to reveal the wound. The bullet only made it through a few inches of tissue, meaning it should be relatively simple to take out.

I collect supplies before returning to the bed, "Okay, I need to take out the bullet and clean the wound. Then, I'll put in some temporary stitches for tonight."

Peter nods, "Yep, just get it over with."

The process goes smoothly. I placed the bullet into a container for testing and placed a bandage over the wound to soak up anything that escaped the stitches. Peter's strength always impresses me. He laid back with his eyes closed the entire time, only wincing a couple of times. I guess his spider strength helps out. With his advanced healing, he should be good to go within the week.

*******

Kate peeked her head into the room so that I could see she was okay, before heading to her room. That's where I was headed currently.

I find her lounging on her bed in grey sweats and a purple hoodie. Her wet hair is tied in a knot on the top of her head. Her face immediately lights up when she sees me, "Hey babe"

The first aid kit is sitting next to her unopened. "Hey, you want me to do it?" I ask, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"If you don't mind. I'm really tired."

I sit in front of her, taking out supplies from the kit. "I don't mind at all."

I clean each cut with rubbing alcohol before placing a small bandage over top. Kate watches me work, but it doesn't bother me. What has she done to me? I feel safe around her. I feel loved and appreciated, even when I'm having a bad day. She saved me. I cannot imagine making to through my time in Wakanda if I had nothing to return to. The Avengers really are incredible people and friends, but they will never understand me the way that Kate does.

I finish and return the kit to it's shelf. Although it is only 6:00pm, I slide under the covers next to Kate. My head rests on top of the soft pillow that still feels odd. Steve once said that sleeping in these beds felt like sleeping on a marshmallow, he has a point. My body has slowly adjusted to the change.

Kate slides down to lay beside me, "How's Clint and Peter?"

"They're good. As long as the bullet comes back clean, he should be good within the week. Clint was only grazed but you know how he is, he'll be milking this for as long as he can."

Kate giggles, "Very true." She reaches over and brushes a strand of hair from my face.

I smile, leaning into her touch. My day consisted of a lot of sitting, however the worrying seems to have taken a toll as my eyes threaten to close. "I think I could fall asleep right now"

"That sounds like a great idea."

A couple of minutes later, we have changed into pajamas and gotten ready for bed. Kate lays her head on my chest, wrapping her arm around my abdomen. One thing i've learned about Kate is that she likes physical contact, it feels reassuring. In all honesty, I found it a little strange at the beginning. Since then it's grown on me.

"Are you going in tomorrow?" Kate whispers, asking about my volunteer position at a nearby medical center.

"Not unless they call. My girlfriend finally has a day off for the first time in months, so I think I'm going to take advantage"

Kate hugs me tighter, "That sounds nice." She pushes herself up, leaning in for a loving kiss. I'll never get tired of this. She whispers, "Goodnight, Y/n. I love you."

She rests her head back onto my chest as my fingers begin to brush through her hair.

"Goodnight, Kate. I love you too."

The universe gave me a chance to live my life, and I can't think of a better way to spend it.

A/N - This is it, the final chapter. I hope it is satisfying and you have enjoyed reading. I want to thank everyone who has made it this far, I appreciate your support more than you know. I love you 3000.