chapter 3 - training

After agreeing to train with Kate and Peter I realized I didn't have any other clothes. 

I quietly walked over to Nat, "Hey Nat, could I maybe borrow some training clothes?"

"Oh my god! Of course! I'm so sorry I had forgotten you don't have any clothes, how about we go shopping later today to get some stuff for ya?"

"Sure. Thank you."

I follow Nat to her room on the other side of the compound. We find a pair of leggings and a tank top that fits. I change into the new clothes and head downstairs to the training room. I reach for the large glass door, having to use a bit of strength to get it open. The room is large with big windows allowing lots of natural light to pour in. There is a large square mat in the center of the room and doors to a bathroom and locker room on the far right wall. Peter is sitting on the bench next to the drinking fountain. His head is down looking at his phone and I can see headphones dangling from his ears.

"Hey Pete" I greet him.

He looks up from his phone, "Hey Y/n". He pulls the headphones from his ears, "how'd you sleep?"

"I slept okay," I say, nervous to admit that I couldn't even sleep like a normal person.

As I answered, Kate walked through the doors. Her hair was pulled up into a loose bun, she was wearing a purple sweatshirt and black leggings and carrying a purple duffle bag.

"Goodmorning to you" Peter joked, she looked exhausted.

"I'm not a morning person okay," she said slightly annoyed. She drags herself into the locker room disappearing behind the door.

Peter puts his headphones back in. Wow, this is awkward. I decide to go to the bathroom since I got nothing else to do. The bathroom is crystal clean it is seriously impressive.  I wonder if Stark has a janitor come and clean the facilities or if one of his robots does it for him. The room isn't large, only a toilet and sink. I stand in front of the mirror taking in my appearance. Nat's clothes actually fit really well. I pull a hair tie off my wrist -- one that Nat had given me -- I pull my hair up into a ponytail and pull out a few loose hairs. I splash some water over my face before exiting the restroom hoping to wake myself up. The other side of the door reveals Nat setting up dummies. Peter has abandoned his phone and is helping Nat set it up. Kate took off her sweatshirt, now wearing a purple tank top. She used the bench Peter was just sitting on to stretch. I wonder if I should stretch too, even though I already ran.

Thankfully Nat finishes setting up and calls us over, "Okay kids, today we're focusing on combat. We're gonna spar for the first bit so I can see where you're at."

Nat shows us the boundaries and emphasizes that this is just training and to not hurt one another, "okay, I'll have Kate and Peter go first so Y/n can see how we do it"

Nat steps to the side and both Kate and Peter get up. They stand across from each other and get into position. 

"Since today we are focusing on combat technique, no powers, abilities, or weapons" Nat announces. 

Both Peter and Kate groan. Nat blows a whistle and they begin to fight. I have found a seat on the bench while Nat stands. I can tell that Kate has previous fight or combat training, she waits for Peter to make the first move. She dodges his attempt and kicks the back of his knee. Peter crumbles to the ground but gracefully rolls out of it. Kate steps up first this time going for his gut, but Peter catches her punch and kicks out her legs this time. As soon as she hits the floor, he scrambles on top, straddling her stomach. Nat begins to count down from 5. Kate slyly grins up at him and it one graceful movement pushes her hips upward and to the side, rolling so she is now on top. Peter is able to free his arms and lifts her off his body and throws her over his head, "Hey! No using your super strength!" Kate groans as she hits the floor hard. 

"What!? How do you know I'm not that strong without super strength?" he asks offended.

Kate rolls her eyes before looking at Nat, "... Kate's right no super strength"

"Ughhh" Peter groans childishly.

Kate sticks her tongue out at Peter as he walks off the mat. 

"Y/n... you're up" Nat nudges me. 

I pull myself up and stand in the same spot Peter stood. No super strength.. shit. I prepare myself. Once the whistle blows I charge at Kate in the same way Peter did. She takes the bait, getting ready to do the same thing she did to Peter. Except I drop to the floor taking her legs out first. Although the hits the floor not so gently, she quickly gets back up onto her feet.

We spar for a while and although I don't want to admit it, she was a good opponent. Eventually she gets me on the ground and climbs on top of me. My breathing slightly quickens, I can feel her hips on mine. She rocks forward in an attempt to hold down my arms but I pull them away and use her misbalance to roll on top of her. I am able to get her arms pinned down. She tries to free herself but I don't let her.

Nat begins to count again, "5... 4... 3... 2... 1... done! Looks like we have a new champion"

I release Kate's arms and pull myself off of her. I reach my hand out to help her up and she accepts the gesture, "you're good" she offers.

"thanks" I say sheepishly, "you are too"

"thanks"

Nat has us spar a couple more times. I feel bad for Peter though because it's clear that he hasn't been trained in combat. Nat tries to help him by shouting tips. Once Nat calls time we all head for the lockers to shower.

 When I get out of the shower, I can hear water still running which means that Kate is still showering. I awkwardly remember that I don't have a change of clothes. Ugh this is becoming a problem. I run through my options. I could ask Kate for some when she finishes showering... or I could run through the compound almost naked to ask for some from Nat. I sigh knowing that I really only have one choice.

Kate's POV

The warm water feels nice on my skin, even though I was hot from training. Y/n surprised me, she was really good. Cap said he found her at hydra, so who know's what training she's had or what she has been through. I finish rinsing my body and turn off the water. I reach outside the curtain for my towel and wrap in around my body. 

I pull back the curtain revealing Y/n standing there awkwardly in a towel, "hey uh... do you think I could borrow some clothes?"

"yeah of course" I tell her and head to my locker. I pull out a pair of underwear, a bra, a t-shirt, and a pair of shorts.

She looks so nervous, "Nat said she would take me shopping later today" she tells me. It seems like she's trying to apologize.

"Seriously it's no big deal" I reassure her. I hand her the clothes. 

"Thanks"

She walks to the other side of the room and places the clean clothes on the bench. She turns her back to me and lowers the towel around her waist before retying it. I know it's wrong to stare but it's hard not to. She is gorgeous, her lean body glistens. I notice a large amount of cuts and bruises on her back. Wow they really treated her terribly. Wondering if I'm violating her privacy, I turn my back to her and continue to get dressed.