chapter 17 - most important meal of the day

Y/n's POV -

I follow Kate to a garden in the middle of the compound. Four walls surround the garden, though the top is open to the sky. A gorgeous circular grey stone fountain marks the center of the fountain. Tan stones create a path around the fountain as well as four paths leading to the door from each side of the building. Plants range from beautiful, delicate, and colorful flowers to small trees growing all sorts of fruits. There are four benches placed around the fountain, one of which Kate and I settle on. Kate produces two paper plates and a container full of food. She removes the lid and wonderful smells overwhelm my senses. She has brought scrambled eggs, bacon, a bagel, sausage, and french toast sticks.

"Oh that smells so good" I mumble.

Kate looks over at me with concern, "I wasn't sure what you liked so I got some of everything. I hope that's okay."

"That's more than okay, I really appreciate it."

Her face softens, "okay uh good." She hands me a plate while she holds onto the other.

"Have you not eaten?" I ask in realization.

"No, I was uh waiting to eat with you." She answers nervously.

I feel my cheeks heat up and duck my head to hide it. "That's very kind." Kate nods in return. I reach for the food and put a little of each on my plate. I shove the food into my mouth, appreciating all the wonderful flavors.

Sometime later both Kate and I finish eating and we sit in awkward silence.

"What's wrong?" Kate asks, breaking the silence.

"What do you mean?"

Kate looks at me sadly, "When I walked in earlier, you seemed... I don't know quiet, unsure, scared even."

I drop my head. Was I really that easy to read? Well, I might as well tell her. Here goes nothing. "Bruce told me that there's a procedure that I could possibly have, that would remove all of the uh... mental conditioning." I look at Kate who is staring at me with concern, "But he can't perform it... I would have to go to someplace called Wakanda to have it, And with the recovery, it would be an estimated 4 months."

Kate remains quiet for a while before speaking, "wow... that's a long time."

"On the one hand, I really want to go because I don't want to worry about Hydra or the Red Room controlling me. But the other part of me knows that it won't be easy. It will be difficult and exhausting and I'm just so tired. I feel like I need to just rest, y'know? Take a break."

Kate gives me a reassuring smile, "That makes sense and that is completely okay. No one is going to force you to do anything you're not ready for."

"Thank you."

~~~

I leave the breakfast feeling a little better about the situation, but there's still something that's bothering me. I make my way to Bucky's room and knock on the door?"

"Who is it?" He shouts from inside. 

"It's Y/n!"

"You can come in, the door's unlocked!" I open the door and find Bucky sorting through a stack of files. He looks up at me, "What's up?"

"Uhm..." I look down and start picking at my nails, "How... how did you know that you wanted to join the team?"

His face grows serious and he sets down the file in his hand, "I didn't really. I started to help out when Steve asked cause he's my friend and I didn't know what else to do. It's what I did before... I fought, for my country. And hydra is still out there, still hurting people, innocents like you, so I decided that I would take them down. However long it takes."

I nod. "Are you ever just tired? Like tired of fighting?"

He chuckles, "All the time. But in some twisted way, I think this is my purpose."

We both stay silent for a while. "Thank you. For telling me." 

Bucky nods, "Clearly something is bothering you, and do what you need to do, but if you ever need me, I'm here for you."

I smile, a genuine smile, "Thank you, Buck"

I leave his room feeling confident in the decision I've made. I walk across the compound, on my way to find Bruce. I round a corner and almost run into Kate. 

"Y/n, hi! I was just looking for you."

"You were?"

"Yeah, I uh- wanted to talk to you about something"

What about? "Oh! Go ahead then,"

Kate takes a deep breath. She looks nervous. Why is she so nervous? "I... Uhm... This is not how I planned on doing this. Uhm. Y/n... I... like you"

What? Likes me? "Uhm, thanks? I like you too." I reply confused.

"No- like- I like you as more than a friend."

Oh. "Oh..."

Kate's cheeks grow red and her eyes open wide, "I'm sorry you just go back I- I thought I almost lost you and you're probably still in shock or whatever..." She dips her head. 

My heart is racing. Oh my god. She likes me, As more than a friend. "Kate I-" breathe y/n, breathe, "I think I like you too. I've never done this before..." I trail off. My heart feels like it might explode inside my chest.

Kate looks back up, "Don't worry about it, I can help you! How about we start with a date? Dinner, tomorrow at 6:00?" 

I'm surprised at how easy this seems to come to her. She knows exactly what to do. "Sure, that sounds good," I say smiling. 

"It's a date then!" 

a/n: sorry again for the long time between updates, I'm still figuring out how I want this story to go. anyways, thank you as always for reading! I send lots of love your way <3