chapter 6 - part of the team?

7:02 pm - Y/n's POV

A knock on my door interrupts my reading, "come in"

Bucky nudges the door open, "hey kid. How's it going?"

"good," I say while avoiding eye contact. I mindlessly stack the collection of books around me. Steve had lent me some of the books of 'today' as he had called it. He claimed it had helped him adjust to a changed society after coming out of the ice. 

Bucky's voice rose softly, "So... I wanted to talk to you." It was not like him to question himself. As long as I had known him, he was always very confident in his words and actions. But now... I could sense his nerves. It was almost like... like he was scared.

"Mhmm" I reply, for his sake and mine not looking up at him. I keep my focus on the books, pretending to be reading the summary written on the back or inside covers. 

"Well, you're 16. Most kids your age would be going to high school which is totally an option if you would like, however, I don't think you need it. I know you received education in the red room..." 

I can't help but flinch at the mention of that horrid place. The flinch must have worried Bucky because I could see him slightly move. I glance over to see him still standing barely inside the doorway, even with the slight movement. 

He took a moment to recompose himself,  "Stark is willing to give you a place to stay until you turn 18. Have you ever thought about what you want to do with your life?"

I retract my hands from the books and just stare at the floor. What I want to do with my life... what a silly prospect, that I would have a choice. All I had known was the inside of prison cells, constant drilling, and training, fighting, only hoping that it would get better. Even daring to dream that I would be killed on a mission before they could torture me again. Realizing I had been thinking for a ridiculous amount of time I finally muttered "no."

My eyes meet with Bucky's and I can see a silent understanding. Although we had been nothing but partners -- and against our will, at that -- we shared something... something that no one else would understand. Bucky moved to sit next to me on the floor. "That's perfectly okay. I know it must be hard transitioning, to a life you have only ever dreamt of living. For now, you are welcome to train with Kate and Peter until they become official. However, I totally understand if you want to leave all of that behind... try to forget about it-"

"-I can't forget about it. It's a part of me and always will be." I took a second to catch my breath from the outburst, "I don't know much about having a choice, but right now... fighting hydra and making sure that no one ... will ever be hurt by them again sounds pretty darn appealing."

A small smile appears on Bucky's face, "I know that Stark would be over the moon to have you as part of the team"

"Part of the team?" I can't hide the awe in my voice, "like... an avenger?"

"Yeah, I don't think anyone would argue about your skills in the field, but you have also fit in so well. Everyone likes you. I even noticed that you have taken a liking to that Kate girl. She's a good kid, recruited by Clint believe it or not, and Clint hates children." We both laugh at the comment. Bucky reaches his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into him and for the first time since Hydra, it didn't feel like a threat. "If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always gonna be here for ya." He kisses the top of my head before releasing me.

"thank you" I whisper, barely audible. I can feel tears on the edge of my eyes. Never, had anyone cared for me like this. He gets up to leave, I let out a sigh and close my eyes. One tear falls from my right eye, dripping slowly down my face. Bucky turns around, "also the team is watching a movie in the living room if you would like to join."

I am sure that he saw the tear. But he didn't yell at me or tell me to grow up. He just nodded his head in understanding before leaving me alone. I used the back of my hand to wipe the tear before assessing my outfit in the mirror. I'm wearing some comfy shorts and an oversized T-shirt, good enough. I pull my hair into a messy ponytail before leaving the room. Something whizzes past me in the hallway, throwing me off balance. 

"Oh hey y/n, you coming to movie night?! I'm picking!"

Catching my balance, I see Peter. "Uh yeah"

"Yesss this is gonna be so fun!" He says before taking off again. 

I make my way at a normal pace to the living room. When I arrive I spot Peter arguing with Tony, "kid, we watched star wars last time!"

"Yeah, that's because it's so good!"

I spot Kate on the couch making conversation with Clint. On the other end of the couch, I spot Nat and Wanda. I make my way toward them and sit down. 

"What's up y/n?" Nat asks. 

"Nothin much buttercup what about you?" I chirp as i sit down beside them.

"Just waiting for Tony and Peter to agree on a movie" Wanda butts in. 

"Does this happen every time?"

"Pretty much," says Wanda.

"Do you maybe wanna go sit by Kate?" Nat teases while elbowing me in the ribs.

"Oooo Kate..." Wanda echos

"Ouch! And no thank you, would you stop that?"

"Never!" They both sing. 

I roll my eyes before searching for something to distract them, "Do either of you guys want snacks?"

"Nah I'm good," says Nat. 

"No, but Kate might want one..." says Wanda.

"Oh... My... God... I give up"

Tony and Peter must have finally settled on a movie because their arguing has stopped. Tony grabs the remote and Peter takes a seat on the couch next to me. 

"So, What are we watching?" I ask him.

"Empire Strikes Back. Have you seen it?" 

"Uh no. I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies"

"Don't worry, you're gonna love it!" He exclaims. "If you have any questions, just ask me."

"Thanks Peter"

"No Problem"

The TV flickers to life and Tony grabs the remote before taking his seat. As he works through finding the movie Steve gets up, "Last chance to go to the bathroom, get a drink, or get a snack, unless you wish to face the rath of the terrifying Peter Parker" he says, adressing the room like his is making a very serious announcement.

Peter rolls his eyes, "stop been dramatic Cap."

"he's kinda right Pete," Sam butts in, "you take movie night very seriously."

Peter rolls his eyes again and sighs, but doesn't argue.

"I guess now's my time to get a snack" I say teasing Peter as I get up.

-- to be continued --

a/n: I try to keep my chapters at a consistent length so I will pick up from here in chapter 7!

Thanks for Reading!!