chapter 18 - change of plans

10:00 am Y/n's POV - 

After my talk with Kate yesterday, I completely abandoned my plans. I had been on my way to talk to Bruce about leaving for Wakanda, but now... I have other plans. I have a date. Tonight. I've never been on an actual date before. I've been on fake dates, as a cover for a mission and I've kissed plenty of guys and girls but none of it was ever real. This... is very real. I'm sitting at the kitchen table contemplating what to do today. Dinner is at 6:00 so I probably need to be ready by 5:30ish, but what do I wear? Is this a casual place or a nice place? We hadn't really talked about it and I'm too nervous to ask. 

"Good morning Y/n, what's up?" 

I turn to see that Natasha has entered the kitchen. She begins pulling things from cabinets and the fridge to make herself a snack. "Nothing much. Except... well... I have a date tonight." I say. 

She stops what she's doing immediately, "What?! OMG, who? When did this happen?"

"Uhm, Kate and yesterday."

She gasps, "No way! What are you guys doing?" She leans towards me, interested. 

"We're going to dinner."

She smiles, "Aww that's cute. Are you excited?"

My heart is hammering in my chest just thinking about it, "More like nervous"

Her eyebrows narrow, "why?"

I shrug, "I've never been on an actual date before, I don't know what to do."

Her face suddenly lights up, "Would you like some help?" She smiles mischievously. 

"I would, though you're also scaring me..."

She laughs, "Sorry I'm just excited. Nothing interesting ever happens around here."

After eating her snack, Natasha drags me down to the training rooms. "The first rule on the day of a date, keep yourself busy. Stressing yourself out never does any good. So... we're gonna train!"

I groan dramatically, "I was planning on taking a week off." 

Natasha turns to me and smirks, "Too bad 'cause I need a training partner."

For the next THREE HOURS, Natasha forces me to spar with her, compete in target practice, run on the treadmill, and every other exercise imaginable. I am drenched in sweat by the time we hit the showers. Grateful for the cool water, I scrub every inch of my body. I find Nat and Wanda waiting for me when I get out. "I brought some help. How do you feel about waxing?"

I have never waxed before or even shaved which I'm aware of. It wasn't something that hydra or the red room were particularly concerned about. "Umm... go for it?"

"Great!" Nat exclaims. 

Wanda waves a box in the air, "This is gonna be so fun!" Wanda gets to work on my legs while Nat digs through all of my clothes to find an outfit. Wanda places waxing strips all over my leg, "Deep breath in... and out." Wanda pulls the strip bringing all of the hair on my leg with it.

"Umph" I grunt from the pain. It's not too bad but it definitely stings. 

Nat turns her head, "Wow, normally they scream more." 

Wanda laughs and I roll my eyes. Wanda continues to attach and rip off waxing strips for at least thirty minutes, by the time she finishes, my legs are burning. She applies a soothing lotion to my legs which calms the burning feeling after a few minutes. Since Kate didn't tell me where we are going, Natasha picks out a few outfits that could work for casual and formal. We finally agree on a pair of dark grey pleated slacks, a fitted black turtleneck made of cotton, black converse, and a tan flannel jacket. I change into the outfit. They then drag me to Nat's room for hair and makeup. Wanda used a flat iron to add beach curls to my hair and Nat used various products on my face though I insisted she try to keep it as natural as possible. 

"Okay, I think we're done!" Natasha announces. Wanda comes to join Nat in front of me, looking on with pride at their work. 

"Yes yes oooh, you look so good!" Wanda squeals, "We gotta get you back to your room for Kate!"

The two girls usher me back to my own room. Whispering and giggling with joy. Finally, they left me to myself and I was able to take a moment. Staring at myself in the mirror I realize that I had been swept up in Wanda and Nat's excitement, forgetting all about Wakanda. But is it such a bad thing, that I have forgotten? I've been happy and nervous about something as normal as a date. And it feels good, to be normal. To leave all of the worries and decision-making behind.

Knock Knock Knock. 

A/n: Ooo cliff hanger... JK, well not really. This is kind of a short filler chapter while I plan out the next one. I also wanted to post some more for you guys so there's less waiting. Sorry bout that!