chapter 11 - first assignment

The chair is metal as well so not very comfortable. The two ladies make eye contact and the scary lady nods. The scientist/doctor lady leaves and closes the door behind her.

The scary lady turns towards me again, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Agent Toro. I am the head of hydra, you may call me Madame."

I nod, scared to speak.

"Good! I'd like to go over some important details of your next mission." She pulls a remote from her coat pocket and a screen behind her flickers to life. "This... is the tesseract," she says referencing a picture of a blue cube. "In order for us to continue our life-saving research, we need it. It's located at a facility in New York. It's guarded by some very... special people. These people struggle to understand the importance of what we do here. Your assignment is to retrieve the tesseract using whatever means necessary. Hydra will provide you with a team to get you in and out, but this is a solo mission."

She then begins to inform me of these 'special people' guarding the tesseract and the threats they pose. 

 - Tony Stark (Iron Man)

 - Bruce Banner (The Hulk)

 - Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow)

 - Thor

 - Clint Barton (Hawkeye) 

 - Sam Wilson (Falcon)

 - Steve Rogers (Captain America) 

 - Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch)

 - Stephen Strange

 - Vision

 - Kate Bishop

 - Peter Parker (Spider-Man)

 - James Rhodes (War Machine)

 - and highly unlikely but Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel)

"and finally, you will likely encounter someone you know... The Winter Soldier,"

Bucky? Bucky is with these people? How could he do that?

"He has been turned and he may try to turn you as well so ignore anything he says. Remember the most important thing is that you complete this mission so that the rest of us here can do our jobs. Understood?"

"Yes, Madame." I say. 

Madame pulls a rolled-up poster from her unused chair and lays it out in front of me, "This is a blueprint of the facility. You have until tomorrow to plan. Wheels up at 5:30 AM, Knock if you need anything."

With that, she leaves me to study and plan. 

[sometime later...]

A knock disturbs my concentration and I glance up at the door. It opens revealing a guard. 

"Would you like dinner Agent?" he asks. 

"That would be nice." I nod. 

I had completely forgotten about eating but my stomach growled at the mention of food. 

"Coming right up." The guard says and shuts the door again. 

I turn back to the blueprints and begin to double-check the number of entrances/exits. The next time the door opens the guard is much younger. This guard is carrying a styrofoam plate with a thin sandwich, rice, and green beans. In his other hand, he has a glass of water. He sets the meal down on the table then reaches into his back pocket and pulls out some plastic silverware. "Here you are, Miss Toro."

I thank him for the food and he leaves me alone again. I shake the sinking feeling and try to enjoy the food. I repeat the plan in my head over and over, I cannot afford to fail. 

Peter's POV - 

[At the Compound]

Kate and I watch as the Quinjet departs. Literally, everyone except us is going to rescue y/n. Even the new guy Scott is going! How come he didn't have to try out?!

"Well... what do you wanna do?" Kate asks, "We've got the whole compound to ourselves."

"I don't know, Wanna play Maria Kart?"

Kate turns towards me with a mischievous grin, "Only if you wanna lose."

I smile back, "I don't lose.."

We both take off running towards the second living room. That's the one with the Wii. Kate being the dumbass she is, is wearing socks and slips on the hardwood floors. I leap over her body, "ha!" This gives me the advantage and I beat her. "I win!" I shout victoriously.