chapter 2 - nightmares

Y/N POV

Just as Bucky promised, his friend Tony Stark set me up with my own room in the avengers complex. That night I was properly introduced to Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner and I met Tony Stark, Clint Barton, Natasha Romanoff, Wanda Maximoff, and Sam Wilson. The new trainees joined us for dinner as well Kate Bishop and Peter Parker, they were both my age. I learned about Peter's spider-bite and how he became spider-man as well as Kate's obsession with Clint ever since the battle of New York and how that led her to becoming a mini hawkeye. The three of you had rooms in the guest hallway. 

Later that night you got yourself ready for bed. Peter had gone to stay with his Aunt, so it was just you and Kate on that side of the compound. It was honestly really weird being in such a nice room. The bed was so soft that it was uncomfortable. After many attempts to get comfy, you finally moved to the floor and fell asleep. 

~ y/n's dream 

I stood in a cage across from another female. She was older, already graduated and become a widow. 

"Go!" The trainer initiated the fight. 

She charged at me, I moved out of the way. I attempt to throw her off guard and sweep her legs out from underneath her, but she hurdles and takes advantage of my low position. She tackles me and pins me down.

"Again" The trainer shouts.

Again and again we fight. I lose over and over and over. Dreykov came to spectate the last few matches. He waddles over to me once the trainer finally calls it. 

He caresses my chin, "My little Y/n, you dissapoint me." 

He strengthens his grip on my chin and pulls it up until I have no choice but to look at him, "You know the consequences."

He drops his hand. "Please I haven't eaten in days" I plead. 

"You will eat when you can take down a trained widow."

"Please. I just need some food anything!"

He looks at one of the guards, "Take her to the room"

"Nooooo! Please Nooooo!"

~

"Nooooo!"

I wake up screaming and sweating. Kate bursts through my door. 

"Y/N what is it?!" She crouches down beside me on the floor.

I slow my breathing before answering, "Nothing, it was just a nightmare I'm sorry for waking you"

"Hey it's okay. You don't have to be sorry" she settles down beside me and pulls me closer to her. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"No. I don't think so. If you don't mind I think i'm gonna go back to bed"

"Of course." She reluctantly gets up to leave but stops at the door, "If you need anything just let me know." With that she leaves. 

I turn over to look at the digital clock, it reads '4:37AM'. Might as well get up. I neatly make my bed and get ready for the day. Once ready I gently push open the door, careful not to wake Kate up again. The hall is dimly lit from the rising sun. I decide to explore the complex while I have some time alone. I find the gym/training room, the movie room, the pool, the gaming center, and finally the kitchen. I pour myself a glass of water and settle on one of the couches. I stare out the window watching the sun slowly rising.

"Can't sleep?"

The voice makes me just. I turn around to see Bucky, "Nope... I assume you can't either"

"Nah. Everytime I do, I get these terrible nightmares... except they're not really nightmares-"

"-because they actually happened" I cut him off. 

"yeah" he sits beside me on the couch.

"Why did you come back?" I ask him.

"What do you mean?"

"You got out, you were free, free from hydra. But you came back to rescue us. Why?"

He thought for a couple of second before answering, "because of you"

You look at him shocked.

"Wow that came out really creepy" he laughs, "what I mean is, you are how old?"

"16"

"16 and you've lived your entire life in a cage. First the red room and then hydra. You never got the change to live and you definitely didn't deserve to be there. Who knows how many others there were in that facility or the next... It's weird. Mind Control. There was me, just regular old Bucky and then there was the winter soldier. It was like we were both fighting for control and I just couldn't seem to win."

Around 6:30AM Steve woke up for his morning run. He was surprised to see Bucky and I already up. 

"Morning Guys. Just gotta go drag Sam out of bed" 

"Morning" Bucky and I respond. 

A couple minutes later Steve comes back literally dragging Sam.

"Wait are these two coming?!" he asks.

Steve looks as us, "If they would like to"

I look at Bucky, "Why not" he responds.

"Aye this ain't fair, THREE Super Soldiers" Sam complains

"I'm not a super soldier" I butt in

He thinks about it for a second, "Fine."

After the run we all return to the kitchen for a proper breakfast. I have to agree with Sam, it is difficult running with super soldiers, but on the other hand Sam is just really slow. 

Eventually everyone else starts to wander in. 

"Morning Kiddo, how'd you sleep?" Tony asks me.

"Good" I lie. "The room is really nice, thank you again"

"Oh please. No need to thank me"

Natasha butts in, "Hey if you don't mind, could you wake up Kate? We got training at 9"

I agree and head back towards our rooms. When I reach Kate's door I knock, "Kate?... Kate it's time to get up..." there's no response. I carefully open the door and spot Kate sleeping peacefully under her purple duvet. I am distracted by the endless pictures on the wall, Kate with friends and family, Kate with her first bow, Kate at karate class. I can't help but feel a little jealous of what she got. I force myself to redirect my attention back to waking her up. I gently shake her, "Kate it's time to get up you got training with Natasha"

She finally stirs, "5 more minutes" she groans.

"Kate" I say more sternly

"Fine. I'm up."

Her eyes flutter open. I can't help but notice how beautiful she looks in the morning. 

"Training at 9" I smirk and leave her to get ready. 

I return to the kitchen. 

Natasha thanks me, "Hey if you feel like it, you are welcome to join."

"Sure, I'll think about it" 

I'm finally free and have the opportunity to make my own choices, something I have longed for my entire life, yet I have no idea what I want to do. So I might as well start somewhere. 

A/N: Wow this chapter is longer than I intended. Thanks for reading, I hope you are enjoying!!