chapter 15 - freedom

Y/n's POV- 

*at the avengers compound*

The moment I step out of the car, I am ambushed by a very excited Kate. Her body crashes into mine, her arms wrapping tightly around me. "I'm so glad you're back."

I embrace the hug, a smile creeping onto my face, "me too."

Someone clears their throat from behind Kate. She giggles and steps to the side. 

Bucky steps forward, "I'm glad you're safe kid." He hugs me quickly and awkwardly. 

I collect myself and turn to Nat, "Can I see Peter?"

She wraps her arm around my shoulder, "Of course."

Nat leads me through the compound to the medical wing. My nerves are rising as we approach. I can't help by imagine Peter lying half-dead on a hospital bed. Nat knocks on one of the doors and I hear someone shout back, "come in!"

Nat gently pushes open the door. Bruce and Peter are sitting on the floor, cards spread out in front of them. 

"GoFish!" Peter says triumphantly. He turns toward me and his face lights up. "Y/n! You're back!" He jumps up and hugs me tightly. 

"You're not like pissed at me?" I ask. 

He pulls away and looks me in the eyes, "Of course not. That wasn't you, okay?"

I smile lightly. His words are comforting but don't change what happened. I attacked him. I hurt him. "So who's winning?" I say, suppressing my feelings.

Peter just goes to sit back down, ignoring my question. Bruce just laughs, "I am."

Peter rolls his eyes, "Not for long."

They go back to playing and Nat pulls me out into the hall, "I actually need to talk to you about something."

"Okay?" My heart rate picks up. What have I done now? 

"The team has agreed that it would be best to uh- monitor you for the next couple of days, for signs of chemical subjugation. And if you're up for it, we may be able to perform a surgery to remove any tampering by Hydra and the Red Room." She looks nervous. 

I nod, "Of course, that makes sense. Anything that will prevent something like this from happening again." 

Nat and I return to the room to watch the intense game of GoFish. Bruce wins.

Bruce sets me up in a room next to Peter's. He hooks me up to a few machines and assures me that I will only be here for a maximum of 3 days. 

[time skip... later in the day]

I'm sitting in my hospital bed playing card games with myself when someone knocks at the door, though it's propped open already. Kate is standing in the doorway. I feel a knot in my stomach. What it is about this girl? She's wearing grey sweatpants and a purple T-shirt. 

"hey.." she says. 

I smile, "hey."

There's an awkward silence between us. I finally speak up, "I'm sorry for like attacking you by the way."

Kate meets my eyes, "you don't have to apologize y/n." She wanders over to my bed, "how long are you here?"

"just a few days" My heart rate is picking up, so I focus on my breathing. What is happening to me?

I scoot toward the side of the bed and pat the space beside me. She sits down next to me, "what're you playing?"

Shit, why did I do that? She's really fucking close. I gulp. She's beautiful, I can't take my eyes off of her. "uh I was playing solitaire but we can play something else."

She smiles, "I'd like that."

For the next couple of hours, we play various card games, UNO, goFish, War, etc. Then Kate begs me to watch a movie called the hunger games with her. Surprise, the movie is about an archer *dramatic eye roll*. I fall asleep mid-way through the second movie.  

a/n: I know it's not much but I thank you all for being so patient with me as I find a balance in my life. What do you guys want to happen next??