chapter 4 - shopping

1:07 pm - Y/n's POV

After everyone has cleaned up, Nat drags Wanda and I outside, "I stole Tony's credit card!"

"Yesssss" Wanda cries, "way to go!"

"I don't know much about the real world, but isn't stealing bad?" I ask. 

"Generally yes, but... Tony won't care" Natasha explains to me. 

Wanda drives us to the nearest mall. I assume she is just learning how to drive because Nat keeps correcting her. Thankfully since Nat is focused on Wanda, I have the backseat to myself. I watch out the window as we pass the large buildings towering above. I never really thought about what I would do If I ever escaped hydra, but I gotta admit, this life doesn't seem so bad. Most kids attend school until they're 18 years old, but I was taught everything I had ever needed to know in the red room. I was given a couple of pairs of clothes that were washed once a week, normally while they tested on me. Hydra was different, I was given a gown which I wore while in my cell. If I ever left, I was given a new pair of clothes fit for the activity. 

The abrupt stopping of the car shook me from my thoughts. Nat threw open her door and then mine, she grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the back seat. She led us towards the entrance of the huge building. This one was not as tall as the surrounding buildings, but it was wider. We stopped in almost every store we passed. Nat and Wanda pulled out clothes for me and made me try them on. 

Wanda's POV

At first, Nat and I had to suggest clothes we thought Y/n would like. She seemed so overwhelmed by the choices. Eventually, she started to pick out some clothes for herself. She seemed to drift towards sweatpants, hoodies, graphic tees, and flannels. I pulled out a list I had made earlier to make sure we got everything she would need. 

-- an example of the list --

*Underwear

*Bras (sports and casual)

*Socks

*Shorts (both casual and athletic)

*Shirts (casual, athletic, and nice)

*Long Sleeve Shirts

*Jackets/Hoodies

*Pants (Sweatpants, Leggings, Jeans?)

*Pajamas

--

4:07pm - Y/n's POV

Hours had gone by and we were still at the mall. There were so many choices. We walked from store to store, and the number of bags in our arms was growing. 

"OMG, you need a dress!" Wanda exclaimed.

"Why?" I questioned. From what I understood people only wore dresses to events like parties. I had to wear a dress for a few missions in order to fit in. It was kind of fun to dress up, but it was not practical for fighting at all.

"Stark is throwing a party for his wife Pepper on Friday!" Wanda explains, "I think it's her birthday. You haven't gotten to meet her because she's always out of town for business meetings but she's really nice"

Stark was married? I don't know why but that surprised me. "Are you guys married?" I ask them.

"No, but Wanda has a boyfriend... " Nat says nudging Wanda.

"Really? Who?"

"His name is Vision-" Wanda starts

"-He's a ROBOT!" Nat interjects

"A robot?"

"Let me explain first," Wanda says while glaring at Nat. She goes on to explain about Ultron and how Vision was created. She also told me about her twin brother Pietro, that he died saving a young boy's life and that Vision had helped her through her grief.

"Wow... that's really sweet" I mutter. 

"See it's not THAT weird" Wanda emphasizes looking at Nat. 

"What about you?" Nat asks changing the subject. "Have you ever dated anyone?"

"Only fake dating for a mission, but I doubt that counts"

"Right, I don't know what I was thinking. Butttt if someone ever catches your eye, I would love to help you... You know... Peter's really cute AND he's probably single"

"Ummm the dress..." I say, trying to change the subject. She was right, Peter was a good-looking kid. But I don't think I would ever like a boy as more than a friend. Can a girl date another girl?  I couldn't help but wonder what they would say when I told them that... IF I ever told them that. 

9:52 pm - Kate's POV

I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling. I've had crushes on girls before but never like this. Y/n was gorgeous and strong yet so delicate. She has been through so much at hydra. But she remains positive. Sometimes I just want to hug her and reassure her that she's safe now. That everything would be okay. I wonder if she's ever dated a girl before, or anyone for that matter. 

A knock at my door interrupts my thoughts, "come in" I call. 

The door slowly pushes open. Y/n is standing there in a T-shirt and shorts. She looks at me but doesn't say anything, I can't help but take her in. She looks so cute, her hair is pulled back into a low bun, showing off her gorgeous features. 

"Hey..." I start, breaking the silence "... you okay?"

I see panic enter her eyes, "Sorry I don't know what I was thinking!" she reaches for the door and starts to close it again. 

"wait!" I call, "you wanna watch something with me?"

She slowly turns back around, "uh sure." She steps forwards and closes the door behind her. I motion for her to sit beside me on the bed. She looks unsure but makes her way over. I lift the covers for her and she slides underneath. 

"what do you want to watch?" I ask

"I don't care," she says nervously

"were you having trouble sleeping?" I ask while flipping through the channels.

"yeah," she whispers, almost so quietly that I can't hear it. 

I come across an episode of friends, it's from the first season. "I love this show, It's about a group of six friends living in New York City" I explain to her. We watch in silence for a while. At one point Chandler makes fun of Ross for his relationship with Carol something along the lines of 'how could you not know you were married to a lesbian?' 

Y/n looks confused, "what's a lesbian?"

"Ummm... it's when a girl likes another girl as more than a friend" I try to explain. Wow, this is awkward. So much for dating y/n, she doesn't even know what a lesbian is. 

"hmmm... what is it called when a guy likes another guy as more than a friend?" she asks. 

"He would be called gay"

"Can someone like both guys and girls?"

"Yeah, that's called bisexual"

"hmmm," she says processing. She turns her attention back to the show.

A couple of episodes later, I am starting to get tired. "hey, I'm getting kinda tired..." I tell her, "you're welcome to watch as long as you would like"

She nods not even glancing away from the TV. She looks fascinated by what she's watching. I smile to myself as I close my eyes.