Chapter Thirty Four: Friends Who Leave

Fixing the hood of her cloak, Hinata's lips were caught between her teeth as she fidgeted with the soft, heavy fabric that would act as her shield as she travelled around the country. She could feel his eyes on her, the worry that radiated off of him did nothing in calming her already anxious mind.

Lifting her head when he finally decided to approach her instead of standing there like a boy lost in the woods, she gave him a sad smile.

"I'll be back—" She began, ready to put his mind at ease, but Sasuke raised his hand to stop her.

"Don't." He mumbled, shaking his head. "Don't make that promise. I just want you to be safe."

'I won't die like Itachi did', she wanted to say, but even she knew that such words were not favourable in the slightest. It would make him angry, and gods she did not want to make him any more upset than he was. Even if Sasuke tried to hide it for her sake,

(always for her sake)

she could see that he was fighting himself, fighting some deep dark thoughts concerning her. He wanted to trust her, to trust the guards to keep her safe, but guards had travelled with his older brother and he still ended up...

"I will." She nodded.

"Kiba!" Sasuke called out.

The dishevelled guard approached them and bowed, Akamaru doing the exact same. If the situation wasn't so dire, Hinata would have cooed at the dog's obedience.

"Make sure you don't leave her alone, I trust you enough to keep her in your sight and out of danger. Is that understood?" His voice dropped an octave, his steel gaze reminding her of the closed off man he was around people beside herself and those he saw as his friends. The name 'Uchiha' fit him like a glove, and so did the title 'Crown Prince'.

There was no time for games whenever Sasuke became serious.

"Yes, Lord Uchiha." Kiba stood up straight and nodded. His eyes found those of Hinata's and he offered her a warm smile. "I will make sure that she returns home safely."

"You're in charge of the others." Sasuke nodded, mentally dismissing the promise Kiba made.

(Promises are bad, father, Itachi made promises and look how he ended up...)

He gave Hinata one more look, the hurt in his eyes barely masked as he beckoned her forward. The moment she planted her feet close enough to him, he pulled her in for a quick kiss and pressed their foreheads against each other. He was not going to poke her forehead, he had come to realize that such action was his brother's way of pushing him away, so he savoured her warmth. He didn't want her to leave, but he understood why.

"I will wait for your return." He whispered.

(Oh dear, that's a promise, isn't it? Promises are bad bad bad)

Hinata closed her eyes and nodded, "make sure you eat, and don't hide away from Naruto." She laughed despite there being no humour behind her words. "I love you."

Sasuke let her go, "I love you too."

She lingered for a second longer, taking in his features, because she knew that there was a chance that she might not come back. He didn't have to know that, but she did, she did and she accepted it. There were people out there who wanted her dead, more so than they wanted her to inherit the throne as a cursed creature. She might die, yes, she might, but she didn't want him to think about it. Hinata smiled again and made way for the carriage that waited for her.

She didn't pull back the curtains, or watch as the fog slowly covered him the further away they got. She ignored how much it hurt to be away from him, to hide such a simple possibility like death away from him. She didn't want him to hurt, yet that wouldn't stop him from doing just that. How many times was she going to lie to herself about that look in his eye?