Chapter Sixteen: A Made-Up Mind

The emotions that flashed through Fugaku's eyes were easily deciphered by his son's guard as they stood below him. Anger, sadness and relief clashed in the black swimming pools of his iris before it settled to that of nothing. His eyebrows furrowed as he stared down at his son, trying to figure out if all of it was a dream. Did Sasuke really return?

"Father." Sasuke got down from Naruto's back, not needing Naruto to tell him about the looks his father was giving him — he could practically feel his emotions rolling off of him in crashing waves. Getting on his knees, he pressed his forehead to the ground. "I am sorry for causing you stress."

"It is more than stress that you've caused." Fugaku walked down the steps, his footfalls echoing across the carefully constructed concrete. "I have searched for you everywhere."

He listened, knowing that it would be rude to interrupt his father's speech.

Once he was in front of his son, he stooped to his level and held his hand as he helped him stand up. "I am glad that you're safe." He whispered and pulled him in for a hug. "I would not know what to do if you went missing for a moment longer."

"I'm sorry." Sasuke rested his forehead against his father's shoulder. Despite being tall himself, towering over some of the men his age, he was still shorter than him but he wouldn't complain.

"Naruto." Fugaku's eyes narrowed somewhat at the blond man.

Standing up straighter than before, Naruto's shoulders were squared and his fingers shook for a mere second out of fear. "Lord Uchiha."

"Where was he?"

"He stumbled into the Uzumaki-Namikaze compound and a maid informed me about a man searching for me." He lied but his voice never faltered. Having lied to the Emperor quite a few times already about Sasuke's disappearance, it was like second nature for it to leave his mouth without a thought. "Sasuke has not told me the details about his little adventures just yet."

Nodding at his response, Fugaku looked back at his son for a moment before he matched Naruto's gaze again. "Will you stay in the Palace?"

"Sorry?"

"Would your parents mind your absence for a while?"

"No, they would not. My mother has gone to visit my grandparents' graves, and my father is very lax when it comes to my departures." He laughed and itched his cheek. "I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue if I stay in the Palace tonight."

"Good, I will speak to Minato to discuss you living here."

Naruto's eyes widened, he didn't think Fugaku meant for him to stay forever. He didn't mind a little slumber party with his friend but to live in the Palace? "May I ask why?" He had obviously stayed on Palace grounds quite often outside of doing his duties, especially when his father would visit Fugaku, but never once have they ever discussed him permanently living there.

"To stop him from leaving again." Fugaku turned to leave, helping Sasuke up the stairs even if he really didn't need it.

The Uchiha and Uzumaki duo said nothing. If only Fugaku had known that Naruto was the one to help him escape. Him being there every single day would not change anything about Sasuke's sudden departure; he was the reason it was possible in the first place. Or did Fugaku know that? If he did, he gave no indication of that fact.

"Return home and get some sleep, it is late." The Emperor instructed over his shoulder, not turning back to see Naruto bow and make his way out of the gates.

Once he was completely alone with Sasuke, he let him go and said nothing as they walked side by side. He escorted him to his bedroom and stopped him before his doors were opened.