Chapter Thirty: Full Moon [M]

After greeting and speaking to every Noble Clan Head who approached her, watching as they collected their things and left the reception, Hinata had to sit down and take a much needed breather. She had participated in such practices with her father before, but to do so on such a large scale was obviously very draining.

Closing her eyes, she felt his hand on her shoulder before he sat down at her side.

"We can head to our manor." Sasuke said.

It was the final gift from Fugaku; a manor within the Palace walls, their own private quarters equipped with everything they could possibly need. That was where they were supposed to spend their time if they weren't taking care of official duties as the next in line for the throne. It was nice, and it made her realize exactly why Sakura thought she would never see her again.

Although they would still be within the same walls, the sheer size of the Palace was like its own miniature country. Naruto joked that multiple clans can set up their homes within the Palace's walls and there would still be enough space for a small farm.

"Yes, please." She sighed and allowed him to help her stand. "Today has been long, I thought we wouldn't stay for the whole service but it would be quite rude for the main couple to leave before their guests."

"There would have been a few complaints, which I could care less about, however, my father would give me a lecture or two about my lack of royal etiquette." Sasuke smirked.

"Understandable, there are a few times where you disregard your upbringing to behave like a child once more." She laughed. "That's not a complaint; I wish I was able to do that a little more."

"You can, all you have to do is hang around Naruto for a few weeks and you'll be able to do so rather easily."

"Is that your secret?"

"Perhaps? If I had lost him as a friend, I guarantee that my behaviour would be extremely similar to your closed off one. No matter how many times I throw insults at him, he's just a really great friend who I'm happy to have around. I'm sure it's the same way with you and your sister."

Hinata thought about it for a second; she remembered the times she would push Sakura off, throw snarky remarks at her, and genuinely thought that she was hated by her. Only for Sakura to keep referring to her as her younger sister, being there even though Hinata didn't quite ask, and silently supporting her despite not knowing how to express herself around her.

"I suppose you're right. They really are alike."

"A recipe for disaster."

She nudged him slightly. "Have a little faith in them, I'm sure they know how to turn it down a little bit and be serious if the time calls for it."

They arrived at their manor and took a moment to look at the house. It was two stories, and from what they could see, there was a starting garden filled with herbs and flowers Hinata was accustomed to.

"My father has paid a lot of attention to you." Sasuke noted, opening the door for her to go inside.

"So have you." She took off her zōri and held her uchikake in her hands as she glanced around the first floor.

It was a rather nice place; furnished to their liking and secluded. There was a rather large scroll hanging on the wall, a picture of them with their names written at the bottom. Hinata approached it and touched it lightly as she took in the detail.

"Sai did a great job." Sasuke joined her, and lit up the lanterns in the room so they did not have to struggle to see.

The house was barely lit but they managed to navigate it with ease; the light was just meant to illuminate everything hidden in plain sight.